Chapter 5

I drive home silently still trying to rap my mind around what all happened today. I really wanted to know if Natalie cared for me or not. At least like me. I pull next to the curb and get out, walking up my door with the note in hand. I walk in as my mom greets me as usual.

"Hello darling! How was school?" She hugs me.

"Moooooom." I squirm out of the hug.

"Well sorry Marcel." She laughs and goes back to washing the dishes.

"At least tell me how school was."

"Okay."

"Just okay?" She pokes her head around the corner.

"Is everything going alright in school? Are you making new friends?"

"Yes mom. Everything's alright." I say, walking up the stairs to my room. I close the door and find my phone. Wait where was it. It wasn't anything special anyways. It was a cheap hand-me-down Smartphone Gemma, my sister, gave to me for casual reasons. Like I ever used it. This would be the first contact I've ever had on it, if the number was real that is. I added the number and called. 3 rings awaited as I hear a voice on the other line."

"Mom ssshh it's Marcel."

I cock my head. What? Has she told her mom about me?

"Hi Marcel! You called! Thanks!"

"Oh hi...I didn't know I-if it would be a real number or n-not."

"I wouldn't ever do that to you Marcel. You seem really nice. You get bullied and your still nice to everyone. I admire you."

What was happening? Did she just say that?

"Y-you do?"

"Of course I do! Your my first real friend I've had ever since I've moved here! Which was actually 1 week ago or so...and I realized you don't stutter as much on the phone. Why is that?"

"I stutter when I'm n-nervous. And when I'm at school, I'm always nervous because I never know who's going to push me d-down once again."

"Well, don't be nervous anymore. I'll be here for you for now on. I really wanna get to know you. Do you wanna come over to my house sometime or just hang out at your house? Even though you seem a little shy and awkward I think we could become really good friends Marcel."

"Um...yeah okay. How about tomorrow. I'll text you what time."

"Okay! Bye!"  She hangs up, as I do also.

I imagine her hanging up and bursting into laughter with her friends around her. The thought makes me sick. I shouldn't get my hopes up. Natalie. Marcel. No way. It couldn't happen. Or...could it?