Goodnight

Dakota

I'm awoken by my phone going off in the middle of the night, and so does Grace who's sleeping on my chest.

"Who is that?" she tries to go back to sleep.

"Dad" I trail off as I look at it ring. I sigh, answering. "Yo what's up the at 2 a.m. call?"

"Get to the hospital" he says as if he's been crying.

"Wh-at? Why? What's going on?" I ask in nervousness, sitting up.

"We're saying our goodbyes to Zachary..." his voice cracks.

I try to form words. "W-what do you mean?"

"He wants off his life support. He's suffering" he says. "Just... come. Bring your brothers and sister" he hangs up and my heart breaks.

"Dakota" Gracie hugs me tightly.

"No..." tears form in my eyes. "No no no..." I trail off in disbelief.

"I am so sorry, baby" she squeezes me. "So sorry"

I stand up. "I-I need to get to the hospital. You can go back to sleep" I throw on my jacket.

"No no, I'm coming with you" she gets out of bed, putting on a hoodie.

"Babe-"

"I'm going" she says sternly.

I sigh. "Get Kailee and Ashton, I'll get Alex and we can meet at the car"

She nods and walks off. I walk to Alex's room, turning on the light.

"What the fuck man?" he groans, throwing his blanket over his head.

"Come on. We're saying goodbye to Zachary" I say, holding back my crying.

He looks up. "Wait what?"

"He wants off his life support" I motion my head and he immediately throws on slippers and a hoodie.

We run outside to see Gracie with the kids already in, warming up.

I get in the drivers and Alex gets in the passengers seat.

I speed off and Gracie holds a crying Kailee.

This. I fucking hate this. Zachary doesn't fucking deserve this! He's been nothing but awesome and selfless! He needs to keep fighting...

he needs to...

It was a long, quiet ride.

We get on the floor and walk into the room where mom and dad are crying.

"Guys..." Zachary frowns.

"You need to keep fighting!" Jagger cries.

"You can't end here!!" Logan sobs, hugging his brother, Jagger.

"Zachary!" Ashton and Kailee run over, hugging him.

"Dad..." a tear escapes my eye.

"Buddy..." he walks over, hugging me. I hug him tightly, letting it out. "I'm so sorry. I hate this just as much as you do"

"He can't lose this" I cry.

"I know" he sniffles. "But it's overcoming him. It was his decision and he wants to die peacefully with his family around him"

"I don't want to say goodbye" I hiccup.

"Nobody does" he pulls back. "Trust me" he says, voice failing.

I turn around and everyone starts.

His wife, his kids, then us.

Jagger and Logan revived some memories from when they were kids growing up together.