Killer

Dakota

"Dakota"

I jolt up, drenched in seat. "W-"

"You were having a nightmare" Gracie puts her hand on my bare shoulder. "Are you okay?"

I catch my breath, nodding. "Yeah... yeah, I'm fine"

"Good" she rubs my shoulder and I sit back before she rests her head on my chest.

And with her touch, I was okay the rest of the night.

**

I wake up at eight with Gracie still on my chest, so I carefully take her off and walk out of our little hut to find nobody awake.

All the four wheelers are in line.

And the porch is empty.

Peace.

I sit down and pull out some sour candy I had stashed in my bag.

See, I was never really allowed sweets growing up since I was already extremely hyper and I wouldn't go to sleep if I ate candy.

I don't have adhd, but I was one hyper kid.

Shit, even now, but I've calmed down... a lot.

I sit on the porch for like an hour just eating candy until everyone wakes up and walks out.

"All packed up?" dad asks.

I nod and try to form words. "Hey dad? Where does Amanda and Grayson live?"

He looks at me, smirking. "You mean, does Gracie live near us?"

I smack my forehead. "I guess"

"Don't worry, bud, she lives ten minutes from us" he ruffles my hair and my eyes widen.

"How come I was never told that?!" I stand up.

He laughs. "You never asked"

"Ughh" I groan, nostril flaring.