News

Gracie

He literally tells me to call him and he doesn't answer?

I mean... the fight should be over by now... right?

"We'll find him! You know our son, he always has a plan!" I hear Melissa crying from the other room.

My jaw clenches and anxiety rises.

Is he okay?

I walk out of my room in hesitation to find a stressed Melissa.

"I-is everything okay?" I ask nervously.

She cries. "Dakota's gonna get hung"

My eyes widen.

**

Never.

Never have I been so heartbroken.

Dakota was caught doing all his things and he shot, stabbed, and dismembered cops.

He's in death row.

He's gonna get hung.

I'm such a bitch.

I should've believed him when he said anything could happen today. I shouldn't have ignored him and not hugged or kissed him.

I shouldn't have done all the things I did.

I should've been mature and just hugged him tightly. Knowing anything could happen.

Currently I'm just standing in Kailees room, looking at a picture of her and her brother she brought.

My heart breaks into pieces and I break down crying.

"Gracie?" Kailee walks in. "Is everything okay? You and mommy are sad and I don't want you guys to be sad" she frowns.

I turn to her, wiping my tears. "Come here, love" I kneel down and she hugs me tightly. "Everything will be okay" I squeeze her. Right now, she's the closest I have to Dakota. They may not be anywhere near blood related, but they are brother and sister.

"What's going on? When are we gong home?" she pulls back.

I put my hands on her arms. "I'm not sure, love. But we'll be home soon"

"Why is everyone sad?" she frowns.

"Just some adult stuff going on, but it's gonna be okay. Everything will be okay" I kiss her forehead.

"Do you still like my brother?" she asks and I look at her like she's crazy. "You guys weren't talking to each other on the ride here... did you break up?"

I frown and shake my head. "No. We were a little annoyed at each other, but that doesn't mean I still don't like him" I smile. "He means so much to me... but couples fight. We didn't break up though... I hope he knows that" I frown.

"When we hang out, all we talk about is you. He always tells me how he wants to marry you!!" she smiles and I smile like a dork.

"He did?" I ask and she nods.

I pull her in and hug her tightly.

I told him I hated him.

I didn't remember that until now...

What if he does get hung and his last memory of us is me telling him I hate him? I should've known it would break his heart, because I know it would break mine!

I'm so stupid.

So stupid.

"Gracie?" Melissa walks in and I let go of Kailee. "Can I talk to you?"

I nod and turn to Kailee. "I'll be right back" I say and she nods while I stand up and leave the room. "Yeah? Any good news?"

She looks at me. "The guys tracked him down with the tracker in him-"

"So we can get him?!" I fill with hope.

"He's in Utah" she says and my jaw drops.

"B-but we can still get him... right?" I ask with a shaky tone.

She tears up. "They're trying. Trying so hard. But, they want him dead now. You know how inmates are on death row for a long time?" she asks and I nod. "Not the case with Dakota. He's gone in two days"

"That's not fair!! Why does he get hung SO much earlier than the others?!" I grow angry.

"Because people are selfish and there's a whole army is people wanting him dead as soon as possible" she breaks down crying.

I hug her.

She has nobody...

Her husband is hours away and her son is a long ways away.

I need to be there for her, it's the least I can do.

She doesn't deserve this. That's her baby boy right there, her mommas boy.

Dakota doesn't deserve this either.

All he does is protect us. And what he did to those cops most likely have a reason behind it.

Dakota has a heart of gold.

He's always had one.

"I'm so sorry" I cry as well.

"I want my baby home" she sobs.

I frown. "Me too. So so SO badly. I know he has a plan, we know how Dakota is. He's stubborn. He won't let anyone push him around and I KNOW he's in there putting up a fight. Because that's what Dakota does"

"If he gets hung...-"

"He won't. The guys will get there in time and get him. I know they have a plan too. They won't let Dakota get hung" I comfort. "They're probably on their way to Utah now to give Dakota a lecture about not being stupid" I attempt to make her laugh, and it works.

She pulls back. "I'm so glad you stayed in Dakotas life"

"Me too" I smile.

"You mean so much to him and he would do anything to keep you happy. That's all Dakota ever wants, is to keep you happy. And after that fight you guys had, I've never seen my baby so heartbroken in my life. He really cares about you, Gracie" she says softly.

"I hate myself for telling him what I did. Dakota means the world to me and I know he tries his hardest and does it with so much love, but I totally forgot about that. I don't know what I'd do without him... and I don't wanna find out" I frown.

She goes to speak, but my phone goes off.

"You might want to answer that" Melissa says.

I look down at my phone to see a strange number, but I do pick it up.

"Babe..." I hear a raspy, tired, faint voice on the other end.

Dakota...