I love you.

Dakota

"Dakota" the officer slams his hand on the table, but I remain still.

"I'm not in the mood right now" I snap out of my daze.

"So you'd rather be rotting in your cell?" he grunts.

"Yes" I say, flatly. "I'm trying to kill myself before you kill me"

Truth is, I've been here for a day and I've rejected everything.

Food, water, anything.

I've just been banging my head and body into the wall.

I'm exhausted.

I'm hurting.

I want to die.

**

"Phone calls" the officer for once opens my cell for a phone call. "You really don't deserve it, but tomorrow is your last day, so, we'll give you that"

I weakly stand up with my hands cuffed together on my swollen, red wrists.

Gracie...

I get in line with the other inmates, waiting for the phone.

Dad...

Mama...

Kailee...

Alex...

If I call dad, he can get more information, even though I'm sure he's on everything...

But I don't know if this is my last phone call...

I need to tell Gracie something before I go. And if she's with mama, then I can talk to her.

As I'm lost in thought, it's my turn.

I dial Gracies number and within rings, she answers.

My heart skips a beat. "Babe..."

She goes silent before breaking down into tears. "Dakota"

"I'm right here, baby. Please please please stay strong, okay? I know you can. You're the strongest person I know!" I say in weakness.

"Please get out of there!! Get home! Now!" I hear her crying. "I need you here"

My heart just breaks into a million pieces.

"There's no way in escaping. I can't do it. But just know, I'm counting on you to be strong. Be strong for my mom, for Kailee, for Alex..." I tear up.

"Stop saying that! You're gonna get out of there! You're stronger than that! I know you know what to do!" she exclaims.

"Put me on speaker" I say.

"You are" she replies.

"Dakota?" I hear mom.

"Mama" I trail off and she cries. "Don't cry... please. Be strong, okay? You can't tell Kailee any of this. Just tell her things are gonna be okay. Look, I don't know if this is my last call or if I get one before my execution, but I love you, mama" I gulp.

"I love you" she cries.

"And Grace?" I listen for her.

"Yeah" she hiccups.

"I love you" I shake and she gets quiet.

"I love you too" she sniffles.

"I gotta go, bud keep everyone happy, just like you always do" I say and she tries to keep me staying, but I hang up the phone.

I move out of line, being dragged back to my cell.

I fall onto the ground and bang my head against the concrete wall.

My head pounds, but I keep on smashing it against the wall.

"Archer!" a man smacks his hand on the bars.

"WHAT?!" I snap.

"QUIT!"

"NO!"

He groans and stomps off.

I roll my eyes and my stomach grumbles.

Ughh.

I'm so hungry.

Thirsty.

Tired.

**

"What's your last meal gonna be?" an officer smirks and I roll my eyes. "And last words?"

"Would you leave me the fuck alone?! You're seriously pissing me the fuck off" I snap.

"Phone calls" a man comes around.

"Can't do anything about it" the officer laughs before walking off.

I groan and the man opens my cell, letting me go in front of the line. "Make your last hour being alive worth it" he says, walking off.

I immediately dial Gracie's number and she answers on the first ring.

"Dakota!" she exclaims.

"Hi" I tiredly smile, even though she can't see me. "It's my last day-"

"Stop. Stop talking like that. You're gonna her out there" she says with hope.

I sigh. "No babe, I have an hour. I'm way too worn out to even try to leave. But listen to me. You deserve to be happy. I want you to find your happiness again once this is over. You're beautiful, baby. You're all I've ever wanted, and I got it. Just know that I love you with everything in me. You're gonna conquer so much! You make the world happy"

"Stop" she cries.

"Tell my family I love them... a lot. And not to dwell over this. Because I'll always be there. I want each and every one of you to face this together. To keep each other happy" I clench my jaw and close my eyes.

"Archer" the officer snaps his fingers.

"Baby-"

"I love you. I love my family. Be happy" I cut her off before hanging up.

A tear escapes my eye as I sit on a table.

I just sit here for the rest of the hour before I'm taken over to a room.

"Blindfold?" a man asks and I shake my head. "Okay then. Stand here" he points to a solid step. I obey. "Last words?"

"No" I growl.

"Okay. Close your eyes" he says, wrapping the noose around my neck.

I obey.

This is it.

This is it.