Chapter 7

Oliver

(Sunday, May 5)

Arlo's left eleven voicemails and honestly, I'm a little disappointed. He usually leaves at least twenty when it's something important. Most of them are scuffling sounds as he tries to end the call, but still. I stare at the messages for a minute, then hit call. I still have six hours to go before Elle lets me back in.

"Olly," Arlo says. He picked up before the second ring. "What are you doing awake?"

"Calling you," I say, patting the couch. Kyle jumps up, licking the phone a couple times at the sound of Arlo's voice.

"You're still pissed," he says.

"Nah," I say. "It's whatever. But did you get my text?"

"The Craigslist link?" He yawns. I guess it is pretty early.

I nod, but he can't see it, so I make a positive sound. "We'll send a picture." I'm already laughing at the image. "Show up at her door. I'm thinking a Sea Captain theme. We rent uniforms, make ocean puns all evening. Whoever makes the most wins, and double points for dirty ones, as usual."

Responding to Personal Craigslist Ads is one of the best ways we've come up with to pass the time. It's also gotten me laid when things go well. This woman doesn't look half bad, either. I mean, she has legs and arms and a head. Like I said, it's been forever since I got laid.

"Did you take another pill?" Arlo asks. He didn't even laugh or anything. Fuck him. "Three a day for the first week, right?"

"Come on," I say. "You owe me. Just this once."

"Look," Arlo sighs. "What about something else? We can climb the water tower, drink, whatever you were saying. Just nothing like that, okay?"

"You don't have to touch her," I say. "Neither of us will. It's just a game, nothing else."

"It's never just a game with you and those ads," Arlo says. "What's going on, Olly? Elle didn't give you what you want?"

"She did," I say. I don't like him bringing her up. I also don't like thinking about her alongside the ad. So I shove both away. "We had a great time. I'm going back today. Also, I'm sticking with drama."

"Just say you're pissed," Arlo says. "Damn it."

"I'm pissed," I raise my voice. "There."

He's quiet, and I'm just staring down at the ad on my computer. She doesn't seem half as pretty without Arlo's enthusiasm. All I can see is him looking down on me, acting like he'd never do anything like this. Like he doesn't remember our Thanksgiving prank.

"But it doesn't matter," I say. It really doesn't seem to, right now. Not that much. I've moved on, my eyes locked on the clock, watching the minutes as they drag the hour toward one. "I get it. Really. You're happy, and I'm glad for you."

I've got the energy back, and I'm going to be a good friend. Like Arlo's always been for me. That's the real reason I called, right? The ad was more like wishful thinking.

"Thanks," he says.

I wonder what it's like to be like him. I guess I understand why he's all down if I think about it. But right now I just can't relate. The sun's coming up. Christie's gonna die eventually. Hopefully sooner, rather than later. And I'll drag Arlo away from her from time to time. Things will go on.

But I have a new project. Elle's handed it to me without even knowing, and I have so many ideas. I've always wanted to work on a script. I'm tired of old ones, recycled over and over until there's barely any context or excitement left. I enjoyed playing Romeo, don't get me wrong, but he's not the most dimensional character out there.