Chapter 15- Knocks and Zip Lines

       A gentle knock on my door exactly at 7 P.M. revealed Liam, holding the shabby trombone case. He strolled in right after I opened it, and plopped down on Naomi's bed. She had gone out after dinner to spend more time with someone, who I had a suspicious feeling was Niall.

       "Okay. Let's do this," I said as he opened up the case and put together the big instrument.

      "Concert F." And then, his hand fidgeted around, trying to remember what note that was. I laughed a little, and then gently guided his slide back to the top.

      "1st position. You don't move the slide."

      He nodded, and then tried to play. The sound that came out sounded like a dying cat, and it took a lot of restraint to keep a straight face. I walked back and forth around him, trying to see if there was any way to make him better.

      "Okay, you can stop," I said, after he'd already been holding the note for a long time.

      "What am I doing wrong?"

      "No one is good on their first note," I tried to say reassuringly.

      "Should I try again?" he asked.

      I nodded and he played again. "Try making your embouchure tight, and like your airflow into the instrument is a laser."

      He looked over at me, as if he was thinking something over. Next thing I knew, a large,
blasting sound was coming out of the horn, and he jiggled the slide around facing me. A laugh escaped my lips before I could prevent it and scold him. One half of my brain told me how adorable he looked doing that, with that puppy dog expression on his face, and the other told me that i should be stopping to scold him.

      "What you need is to loosen up," he said, giving a little smile at me before he set the instrument down and tugged me out of the door.

      "What are you doing?" i laughed as he strung me along behind him.

      "You'll see," he said, a wide grin spreading across his face.

      He opened up the door to the staircase and pulled my hand along behind him as he briskly conquered the steep stairs. Our footsteps made loud echoes along the empty floors, but I doubted that anyone was going to be patrolling the staircase at night. I looked up at the next doorway to see that it read roof.

     "Roof? What?" I asked.

     He just laughed and pulled me through the door. When I was outside, my breath suddenly caught and the factor wasn't just the cold breeze that had just settled around me.

     "Lo and behold," he said as I got a look at what was going on around me.

      Around me where a few students lingering about, mainly hovering around the other four boys. I spotted Naomi near the corner, standing near Niall. A bright smile lit up her face as she saw me, and she rushed over.

      "Isn't this exciting?" she squealed.

      "What's happening?"

      "Louis set up a zip line for us to use tonight instead of just sitting inside, wasting away."

      "What? Where is it?"

      "Right there," she said pointing, and I caught a glimpse of the long wire that was connected to the roof. About five people hovered around it, getting it ready for us to use.

      She bustled off after that, going to find Niall or someone else to chat with. "So, what do you think?" asked a British voice behind me, and I turned to see Liam.

       "You were going to skip out on this to have trombone lessons?"

       "You are an excellent teacher," he said, grinning. "But, you do need to loosen up a bit. Live on the wild side for a bit."

       I didn't reply because next thing I knew, someone was telling everyone that we could now use the zipline. I felt myself getting pushed by the crowd as everyone crowded around, trying to see who would have the guts to go first.

    Before I could realize it, the crowd had pushed me in particular forward. Now, I was standing alone, closest to the zipline, while everyone started to egg me on. Fear struck my heart as I realized that they wanted me to go. I couldn't do this. I am not that kind of person that will take risks like that. Suddenly, Louis comes forward and relief fills me as I think that he must be here to help me, but that changed when he opened his mouth.

      "Looks like we have a winner!" he yelled to the small crowd as they hooted and hollered in excitement.

      "No way, Louis. I am not doing this!"

      "Oh, but you are," he replied back.

      I was suddenly being strapped into several hooks and contraptions that would ensure my safety. I looked over to see Liam giving me a reassuring smile, but it didn't melt the fear that was icing my heart.

      A few instructions were uttered to me, barely audible over the amount of people talking and laughing. And then, I jumped.

                                                                      *

Author's Note: I know, I know, I'm awful for updating a full TWO WEEKS later. Spare me the details. But, I have reason. I had band like day in and day out and I had to study for like a million tests. I promise that I will try harder, because I do want to finish this story soon and get started on the next one I have planned. Anyway, I hope this kind of satisfied you, for now. Have a good day, beautiful readers! :)