Chapter 25- Strife and Santa Claus

                “Naomi,” I groaned, coming into our room. She looked up at me from a book.

                “What happened? Did you ever talk to him?” she asked, rushing over as she saw the look on my face.

                “Mainly, he broke up with me,” I said, my voice cracking.

                She pulled me close to her and started stroking my hair for comfort. “Oh, sweetie.”

                “Well, that didn’t last long,” I said with a dulled laugh.

                All Naomi said was, “Come on. You need something to distract yourself from him.”

                “What?” I asked, resigned.

                She pulled out a bag of sour gummy worms and her laptop. “The perfect resolution- Doctor Who. Don’t worry, David Tennant will make it all better, hun.”

                “All right,” I said, and she pulled up the British television show.

                I chewed on a gummy worm absentmindedly. For the next hour, I watched as my favorite Doctor kicked butt and saved the universe, as usual. However, every joke that had once made me laugh brought up not even the tiniest of smiles. Luckily, though, Naomi understood and didn’t say anything about it.

                “See, don’t you feel even the tiniest of bits better?” she asked, looking me in the eyes.

                “Yeah, I guess,” I said, a small smile drifting up to my face. “Do you have any more?”

                “Of course. This is Doctor Who we’re talking about, silly.”

                “You get ‘em, Doctor!” I yelled at the screen in the middle of the episode.

                My heart did feel a tiny bit better after getting my mind off of it. Once it was over, and I’d had more gummy worms than I could handle, I got out my copy of The Hunger Games and read for the rest of the night, and Naomi did the same on her bed.

                When I went to sleep, I didn’t dream at all, despite the events that had been taking place. I simply slept. In the morning, I managed to make myself at least half-presentable. I sighed as I went through the door, but Naomi patted my back. Her comforts didn’t stop the pain that I felt when I thought about Liam, though.

                When I saw him at breakfast, he seemed fine. Like nothing had ever happened. The moment that I walked right past him, he laughed even harder, and my heart sunk.

                After band rehearsal, I couldn’t resist turning to him and asking, “Liam, can’t we talk through this?”