Chapter Forty One: All Good Things Come To An End

Start from the beginning

I tried not to roll my eyes too much at her teasing.  The both of us jolted out of our little world by the audience's thunderous applause.  Then we heard the principal, "Thank you Elliot.  That was a very.... um... enlightening speech."  

Elliot pushed his way back through the curtains and winked at Grell, "Your turn, babe." I growled and grabbed the collar of his robe.  

"Watch your mouth or I'll watch it for you," I threatened as I shoved him into a group of gossiping seniors.  Elliot got up and shook his bleach blond locks out of his eyes. He had bleached his hair since he had gotten elected, as if it made him seem more important or something. (I'll leave it at bleach blond isn't his thing.)

"Wish me luck," Grell whispered as she went to walk out onto the stage.  I pulled her back and gave her a quick peck on the cheek. 

"Good luck," I murmured as I gave her a gentle push towards the curtain.  She smiled and flung the curtains back in a flourish.  I stifled a laugh as she managed to hit the principal with the curtains.  The curtains fell back into place, so I couldn't see what she did next.  I tried to find a comfortable place to peek out at her, but couldn't.  In result I resigned myself to listening to her beautiful voice.  

"I prepared a long and elegant speech about all the wonderful things that occurred this year," Grell began, "but I think that I'll just throw that out right now.  No offense to my classmates, but I'd rather be honest.  Here goes nothing."

My eyes bugged out of my head as I realized that the four page long speech I had helped her write was not even going to see the stage. We had spent nearly a week working on that, preparing the most beautiful speech that Grell could ever give. I was slightly offended, but also very curious to see what she had come up with on her own. I sighed and waited for Grell to continue.  

She began to talk about all the bad things that had happened. The physical bullying.  The name calling.  The phycological bullying.  The cyberbulllying.  Grell let the audience have it.  She ended her speech with these words, "And if you have any younger children, I would suggest teaching them manners right now.  Because the way this year went, I wouldn't be surprised if more children, maybe even your children, will bully someone to the point of breaking, or they will be bullied to the point of breaking.  It's you decision; raise your children right or watch them suffer - thank you."  

The audience was in shock as the fiery red head stalked back behind the stage. Then I heard a parent, not mine nor hers, yell, "Finally someone said it!"  Then the applause began. I ran up to Grell and hugged her tightly.  "I'm proud of you," I said as I squeezed the life out of her. "So, so proud of you."

Grell wiggled out of my arms and smiled.  "Somebody had to say it!"  I agreed with her.  We had seen a lot of bullying this past year, and it wasn't just Alan getting called 'a little girl' , 'gay boy' and other things; there were tons of kids getting even worse treatment than our friends. 

We hid back behind the curtains for another twenty minutes.  Then finally they began to call kids up to receive their diplomas.  I gulped in fear when my name was called.  I rushed out past the curtains too fast and tripped over a wire that was connected to the microphone.  Barely keeping myself from falling I walked up to the principal and grabbed my diploma.  He shook my hand and I bolted back for the curtains as Grell's name was called. 

Once behind the curtains I heard a ding from my cellphone.  I pulled it out to see a text from none other than Ronnie.  

To: Will

From: The Knoxinator 

Nice moves there, Jagger.

I couldn't help but chuckle at my best friend.  Ever since he had barely passed all of his classes he had been acting like his normal self.  He no longer stressed about making it to senior year, and he had more time to hang out with Ashlyn.  They were doing pretty good.  Ronnie always surprised her with gifts and she always gave him baked goods.  (They are truly the definition of a cute couple.) Mentioning cute couples; Alan and Eric finally talked it out.  They're always together now. Alan may be a clingy boyfriend, but Eric manages him. Ashton even learned to leave them alone, as well.

I was knocked back to reality when Grell waltzed back from accepting her diploma.  My face was still beet red from embarrassment when she made her way over to me.  Grell smiled a little as she poked my cheek, "You okay there, Will?"  I blushed and ignored her teasing.  

After a little while longer the ceremony was finally over.  Grell and I separated to find our parents.  My mom was crying as she hugged me.  "My baby is all grown up! I can't believe you're going out into the real world all by yourself, and so soon!" My mother wailed. Dad sighed and gave her a Kleenex as he gave me a strong pat on the back.  Mom and Dad left me to accept everyone's congratulations and they left to make some touch ups on the graduation party. 

I began to try and avoid the people surrounding me and ran to take off my robe. Shedding the blue material, I walked out of the school buildings to see Grell.  "You want a ride?  I mean, we're having our graduation party together so you might as well hitch a ride with me.  You don't have to if yo-"

"I will."  I stopped her rambling and she blushed.  I took note that she still hadn't taken off the robe and her hair stood out against the bright fabric.  I walked her to the car and we both climbed in.  "So Grell, what will you do now?"

"I was planning to go to Broadway - but I want to stay with you," Grell admitted as she revved up the car. 

"You're going to give up your dream, just to be with me?" I asked, completely shocked.

"Yes."  Grell pulled the car out of the parking lot and started the drive to her house. "I want to stay here with you."

"Why?" I asked.  I was stunned at the stubborn red-head's words.

"Because," Grell blushed as she continued, "I love you.  I've been falling deeper and deeper in love you and I've made my choice." 

"I don't care how much you love me, I won't be responsible for not letting you follow your dreams," I said sternly.

"You don't want me to st-" I cut her off as she looked at me, hurt.  

"No. You're leaving and I'm going with you.  There should be plenty of colleges there."  

"You mean it?!" Grell stopped the car.  "I love you so much Will!" Grell yelled as she pulled me into a bear hug. I chuckled at her reaction but didn't laugh; I'd rather not ruin the moment.

I hugged her back awkwardly and she suddenly pulled back.  "What did I do wro-"

This time Grell interrupted me - with a kiss.  I turned as red as Grell's hair as she jolted away, realizing what she had done.  

Then for once in my life, I took the initiative and pulled her in for another kiss.  After a minute, the horns of the car behind us, and a ticket for parking in the middle of the road, we made our way to the graduation party. 

We had survived high school.

~

A/N: BUT WAIT. THAT'S NOT ALL! Soon, Natalie and I are planning to get our Attack on Titan JeanMarco fanfiction posted! So, if you're a fan of AoT and/or JeanMarco, stay tuned! We'll be posted the first chapter as soon as we can, and we'll upate this with a link to the first chapter! You guys are so wonderful and supportive and kind, and we'd love to carry that on to our next work. Thank you!

-Oli