Chapyer Twenty Nine: Heartbreak

*William's Point of View*

"I-I'm" Grell burst into tears and stumbled towards me. Her makeup was running down her cheeks, smudged by both the rain and her tears. I watched her awkwardly approach me, the last thing I would have suspected her to do was appear on my front porch, crying on Valentine's Day. "Will, I'm - I'm," She didn't finish her sentence, instead, she opted to hug me. Her arms snaked around my waist, holding me against her tight. Not knowing how else to respond, I wrapped my arms around her.

Sighing, I awkwardly fumbled around. I tried to shut the door with my right hand while trying not to let go of the sobbing Grell with my left. It was a bit tricky, but I managed to nudge the door shut with the tips of fingers. Once I made sure it was latched, I held her with both of my arms. I began to sway back and forth, trying to comfort her. "It'll be okay," I murmured in Grell's ear, brushing a few strands of her dripping wet hair out of the way. In response, she simply hiccuped and clung to me.

She tried to talk but I continued to shush her. "Whatever it is can wait until you're dry and warm." It wasn't a lie about her being cold. Her skin felt colder than ice; not to mention, her lips were starting to turn a pale shade of blue. I began to wonder what on earth she was doing out in the cod rainy weather, especially by herself. I pulled away from my icicle Grell to lead her into the living room. I helped her settle down into a seat on the couch, adjusting her so that she wouldn't totally soak the couch. I could barely imagine the fit my mom would have if she saw that. "I hope you don't mind waiting here for a minute. I'll be back really quick," I said.

Grell nodded weakly in reply, her eyes avoiding mine. I watched her for a short while, she didn't even make a move. I began to worry about her, what could have made her this upset? I bounded up the stairs and ran to my room; my mind running faster than my legs. 'What should I get for her?' I thought to myself. My mind immediately resorted to getting her into some dry clothes. That's when I remembered that she's a girl. There was no way she'd settle for my clothes. I shook my head convincing myself that it didn't matter and that she'd get a cold if I didn't do something. The last thing she needed was to get sick from being out in the freezing rain.

I searched through my dresser, digging though lazily folded clothes until I found something suiting. The first thing was a pair of old, baggy blue sweatpants. I typically used them for lazy days when I stayed home all day or when Ronald insisted that we have a six-hour gaming fest. I wasn't sure about them at first, but they were the best thing I could find at that moment. I next found an oversized and faded band t-shirt. Ronnie had bought it for himself a few years back, but then he decided that it suited me much better. I wasn't arguing, The Used is pretty cool.

"Grell!" I called down the stairs, even thought I knew she wouldn't reply, "I found something!" I said as I ran back down to the living room. Grell was cuddled up on the couch with Artemis in her arms, hugging my cat and crying. Trying to look comforting, I entered the room cautiously. I am extremely awkward around anybody who is in tears, I never have and never will know how to comfort them just right. "They look a little big, but they are certainly better than your wet clothes," I whispered as I handed her the makeshift outfit, "let's get you changed out, okay?"

"Thank you," Grell choked out, wiping a few tears off of her cheeks. From what I could tell, they left a trail of runny mascara behind on her cheeks. I helped her up and led her to the nearest bathroom and told her to call for me when she was finished changing. Luckily for us, neither of my parents were home. Dad had decided to take mom to an Italian restaurant for a "romantic" dinner or something cheesy like that.

I rushed into the kitchen to start boiling water. I may not be the best around girls, especially when it came to handling dramatic situations like this, but Grell looked like she need a cup of hot extra chocolate-ly cocoa. Mentally high-fiving myself for my brilliant idea, I put a pot of water on the stove to boil and grabbed the hot chocolate mix out of the cupboard, setting it down on the counter so I wouldn't forget what I was making later.