Chapter Forty One: All Good Things Come To An End

I gulped in fear and peaked out from behind the stage curtains.  My long blue robe was beginning to seem heavier than a ton of bricks.  The crowd of people was huge and I was about to throw up. I had never felt so nervous for something in my entire life. This was the one thing that I thought I would be most prepared for, most anxious for, and now I felt like bailing out. 

"Will," I dropped the curtain back into place and jumped as Grell caught my attention. She stood behind, wearing a blue robe that matched mine. Hers was a bit too long, almost dragging behind her as she walked. "Chill out Will," Grell said as she patted my arm.  "You are going to be alright."

"No I'm not!" I whisper-yelled. Grell's green eyes went wide in shock, and she backed half of a step away from me. "I've never even been to a graduation before! I don't even know what I'm supposed to do! I don't think I can do this!"

Grell sighed as she put her face in her palm.  "All you have to do is walk out there, take you diploma, and walk back.  Try no to stress about it so much, it's not like you're giving the speech or anything."  

I gulped and nodded in defeat.  Maybe Grell was right, and everything would be alright. I just needed to relax. I paced back and forth behind the stage curtains as the class president gave his speech on stage.  Something told me it was going to be a good ten minutes before Grell could get up and say her speech as the Valedictorian. Sure, I had always strived to be our classes Valedictorian, but Grell had earned it, and I was proud of her.

So far, my graduation ceremony hadn't been going too well. The first five minutes was utter chaos. Grell and I had both arrived late and had almost no time to get into the navy blue robes, which Grell proceeded to complain about. They didn't match her hair, apparently, but I thought she looked great. Then the principal of the school informed us that since there was so many people in the audience that to fit all of the family and friends we would have to alter the ceremony. 

At the beginning, we all walked out and the principal introduced us one-by-one.  Then we all excited to the back of the stage and hid behind the curtains.  Next the principal decided that he was going to give a speech about the year.  He talked about how much he loved this class like his own children. (Thats a lie.)  The principal said that he wouldn't change this year in any way for anything. (Anothger lie.)  He went on to say that we were his best class of seniors yet.  (Now that is even more of a lie than the last two.)  He said how proud he was that we were taking this next step into the world.  (I think he meant that he was happy to see us go.)  Finally, we managed to make it to the student speeches.

Our president, Elliot Graph, had made his entire speech on how our class was like Ice Cream, and the students were each individual toppings. I didn't understand the analogy, I thought that it was completely ridiculous. According to that jerkwad I'm the peanuts that everyone is allergic to. I don't know if I should take that as a compliment or not. I thought about slapping him when this was over, but then again, I liked peanuts. Grell ended up being the exotic strawberry syrup.  How is Strawberry syrup exotic?  (I personally think he's trying to butter her up. Sicko.)

"I could have done better," I muttered underneath my breath.  Grell must have heard me because she snorted a laugh before elbowing me in the arm. "What?" I complained. "i could of!" 

"SHHHH!" 

Grell and I both looked up to see a fellow senior shushing us.  We rolled our eyes at the girl who wanted us to shut up.  However, we both waited until she had walked away to speak again.  "So what was this amazing speech going to be on?" Grell whispered.

"I was going to compare our senior year to a circus," I hissed back.

"Isn't that a little over used?" Grell asked.  I glared at her, feigning hurt. She laughed lightly and patted my head.  "Sometimes you're too cute for your own good."