Chapter Twenty Eight: Social Experiment

Alan's Point of View

I looked down at my lap, where the still steaming coffee cup sat clenched in my hands. I wasn't particularly a fan of coffee, but Eric had insisted on buying one for me. Flipping my bangs out of my face, I looked over to Eric sitting next to me. He took another sip of his coffee as he anxiously tapped his foot up and down on the floor. He looked over at me and gave me a small smile. "Thanks for coming all the way here with me," he said, patting my back.

"No problem," I replied, shifting slightly in my seat. I looked down at Eric's feet, eyeing the duffel bag by his feet. I tried not to think about it very much, just the thought of him leaving was enough to make me upset. It wasn't going to be for very long, but still. He would be gone. "So, coming you're coming back on the seventeenth?" I asked, clarifying the date he would return.

"Yep," he said with a nod, "do you think you could pick me up around six thirty then?" Eric asked with a wide smile. He sat his now-empty coffee cup down, the caffeine making him slightly jumpy in his seat.

I opened my mouth to reply, but was unintentionally interrupted by a flight attendant on the loudspeaker. "Flight 217 is now boarding, flight 217."

Eric looked over to me, and his face was practically spilling over with excitement. He shot up from his seat, pulling out his bag from underneath him. I stood up slowly after him, smoothing out my jeans. "Well, that's me!" Eric exclaimed, trying to suppress a squeal - as unlike him as that was. He wrapped his arms around me, pulling me into the classic 'bro hug'. "I'll see you in a couple days, Alan."

"Yeah, I'll see you then," I said, leaning into his hug with a smile, "have fun with Remi." I felt a little piece of my heart chip away as the words left my mouth. I had to support him and his love for Remi. I know I was acting extremely jealous, but I wished that love was for me instead.

Eric let go of the huge, still beaming. I forced a smile for his sake and shot a thumbs up. He spun on his heels, walking towards the line of people waiting to board the plane. I waved over at him and he waved back. Knowing that would be our goodbye, I turned on my heel and left the airport.

I found Eric's car after a few minutes if aimlessly walking around in the parking lot. I pulled the keys to his truck, which he had given to me earlier, out of my pocket. I unlocked the car and hopped into the driver's seat. I sighed, pushing the key into the ignition. I drove out of the parking lot and back onto the road that led home.

On the drive back to Eric and I's cramped apartment, my mind began to wander off. Remi and Eric had started dating back in September, and now they were getting ready to go on six months. Six months was pretty special for Eric, often times he couldn't keep a girlfriend for a couple of weeks. Now, to keep their relationship going, Eric was going to visit her at her college over Valentine's Day. Meanwhile, the only thing I could worry about was whether or not she'd stay true to her promise.

I sighed and shook my head. I twisted the wheel and pulled over to the side of the road, turning the truck's engine off. I covered my face with my hands, shaking my head and letting out a little groan. I threw my head back to face the ceiling. I needed something to do to get my mind off of Eric.

I thought about calling up Ronald first, but then I presumed that he was out with Ashlyn. It was Valentine's Day, after all. That meant that Grell would be out with Sebastian, too. Both of those options were eliminated. From what Ronald had told me, William's mom had been keeping him on a tight leash, and even after his grounding was dismissed. I shook my head and pursed my lip. "Another lonely Valentine's Day for Alan, I guess," I mumbled under my breath as I started the truck again.

I drove around town for a couple minutes, not really paying attention to where I was going. Eventually, I found myself driving though lanes of parked cars in the lot next to the mall. I stopped drive for a moment and peered up at the mall. I nodded a little, turning the truck to go park. Maybe a day alone was just what I needed.