Chapter 26

I meant what I said about the binge writting thing...well sort of...
____________________________________

         It was the first time in a while that (y/n) had been able to walk into the city if Sander without having to worry about being harassed, chased, attacked, or threatened. In fact, the city welcomed him as its hero and the citizens all showed him with words of praise, offerings of food, and even gifts such as priceless scented oils or gemstones of high value. It was all just too much for him to handle.

        With so many people crowded around, (y/n) had asked that Zhu return to residing within his soul but now that everyone was focused on him, he summoned the fox to his side immediately without even realizing it. The people of Sander knew nothing of the great fox and they all backed away from Zhu as he bared his fangs at them, circling (y/n) like a father protecting his son. Even his new comrades from the El Search Party took a few steps back at Zhu's sudden threatening appearance.

         What baffled (y/n) the most was how all of these people even knew he and Zhu had been the ones to stop Behemoth but he didn't worry about it too much at that moment. His mind was currently being overwhelmed with the desire to reject. He needed space and quickly. Likely reading his thoughts, Zhu took hold of him with one of his tails and lifted him up so that he sat on Zhu's back before leaping onto a nearby roof stable enough to hold him.

        (Y/n) caught the gazes of Vapor, Elsword, and Raven before he was taken far from the crowd's reach. Vapor's shop was further within the city and Zhu didn't hesitate to stop there allowing (y/n) to walk in. He immediately sat on the floor right in front of Vapor's counter rubbing his head of the pain the crowd had caused. "Thanks, Zhu," he muttered to his fox companion who sat near him without a word. Silence.

         It was just what (y/n) needed to clear his head. He had only thought of a day when the people of Sander would not care about his potential to harm others. It had not turned out that way. These people without a doubt viewed him as a weapon or maybe even a reformed evil doer which he was neither. Having unconsciously sought everyone's approval of what he was capable of, (y/n) was conflicted with the reaction he got from the people of Sander.

        For a while, (y/n) sat there on the floor of Vapor's shop, his thoughts beginning to sort themselves out until Zhu spoke. "I used to be treated like that all of the time back when I was your family's guardian. It was actually sort of satisfying to see so many humans looking up to me and granting me underserved honor," he said. "I'm not you. So what, I helped save Sander. I don't want their stuff. If anyone should be getting all of that attention, it's them," (y/n) said referring to the team he had come to cherish.

        They were annoying like no other group he'd met but in the end, they weren't so bad. If possible, he'd like to learn more about them. The El Search Party had gone out of their way to save a city they didn't even live in. They were the true heroes. "Don't think like that. You don't really live in Sander either. You literally gave your life for people who could have cared less about you. If that's not considered being a hero, then heroes don't exist," Zhu growled once again reading (y/n)'s thoughts.

        "Then why do I feel so much regret?" (y/n) asked. He was sure he'd even seen Rosean in the crowd applauding along with everyone else. "Why do you feel regretful for saving so many lives?" a familiar voice asked. "Why are you here, Ara?" (y/n) asked without even looking at her. He knew it was her since no one else seemed to be so adamant at keeping up with him at all times.

        "You had a panic attack in the middle of a crowd that gave nothing but their thanks. I've watched you long enough to know that you don't simoly run from a situation," Ara spoke. She wasn't entirely wrong either. "You don't understand why I'm so reluctant to accept all of this, do you? Did you ever ask Vapor why the peopke of Sander called me the soul stealer? I'm sure you can guess why," (y/n) said, his voice hinting at his dark thoughts about the events of that day.

        "I'd be willing to listen if you want to tell me," Ara said, unphased by his attempt to scare her away. She walked around him and sat across from him before placing her spear aside. He must have been dead for quite a bit of time if Ara was able to find her spear. "I'm only telling you so you'll understand why I'm doing what I'm doing. Got that?" he said. Ara nodded and awaited his story.

        "A litte less than a year ago, I was heading back into Sander. I don't know why I thought it was a good idea to just enter the city without trying to hide my identity but that's what I did. Three officers were there on that day as well. Two of them I murdered and the third I killed by accident. Well...I guess you could say I also killed the first two by accident but it didn't seem that way," (y/n) began. Ara didn't seem too surprised by his mentioning of murder so he continued.

        "I probably should have just left like Vapor asked me to but I couldn't stand them hitting her for no reason. She'd told them that I wasn't there to harm anyone and they hit her for it. Those three were idiots anyway for slapping the wisest person in Sander. I lost it though. By then I had started to see Vapor as family so I attacked the first one. I didn't even try to hold back so it was only natural that he died."

        "The second froze and I lashed out on him too but he didn't immediately die since he wasn't beheaded. The third decided it was a good idea to try choking me to death. I couldn't attack him so I did the only think I could. When I bit his arm, I hadn't realized that I had both my hands lanched into his arm so I ended up stealing his soul unintentionally. At the time, no one knew why he'd suddenly let me go and dropped dead but I immediately knew what had happened."

        "I sat there in the sand splattered with blood and looking to Vapor for advise. She could only stand there in shock as did everyone else around. I told them I didn't mean to do it but no one believed me. I couldn't blame them either. I had just killed three people for just one of them slapping someone. Emirate arrived there too and only saw what had become of the situation."

        "I didn't have a chance to explain myself, not that I could anyway. I'd ran the moment I saw that look in Vapor's eyes. Even with my clothes stained with blood, others tried to stop me from escaping the city. I didn't kill them but I did end up hurting them. At that point I hadn't cared so I didn't bother myself with worrying anymore. Ever since then I haven't been welcome in Sander and even Chieftain Karu was uneasy around me."

        "I can't even lie. It felt good to kill but Zhu had told me that those were simply his desires reflecting in my actions. We share the same soul so it would make sense but I never really believed that. When all of those people just suddenly changed their mind about me like that, I could help but think that it was only temporary. They'd all remember what happened and my life would get worse once they ran out off gratitude. So since you were wondering why I can only feel regretful right now, then that's why," (y/n) explained.

        "And that includes you guys too. Don't think I didn't know you were all listening in," he added knowing the El Search Party was crowded outside of Vapor's shop. "How long have you known they were there?" Ara asked. "Since before you showed up. My senses are sharper than you give me credit for," (y/n) said.

        "You've finally decided to open up to them then?" Vapor asked as she entered the shop. "You forced me to. It's not like I had a choice," (y/n) muttered as he glanced back at Vapor. He noticed that she wasn't making eye contact with him. "Then since you told them that truth, there's a truth that I must tell you. You aren't going to like it either," Vapor said.

        For the first time since the day he killed those three people, (y/n) saw fear in Vapor's eyes and it bothered him greatly. "Vapor...whatever it is, I don't think I want to know, especially if it means you must fear me," he said but Vapor shook her head at him. "It's about your mother," she said and it was then that (y/n) began to fell the need to run again and he likely would have if it hadn't been for Zhu forcing him to stay still.
____________________________________

Plot holes are being filled. Chapters are being made. With no more time, I've got a lot of writing to do so until next time you excellent readers!