Sacrifice & Deception

The Narrator

Two days had passed. It was nine days since the disappearance of Sergio. It was still pouring outside the bus in Campamento Del Bosque De La Muerte.

9:30 a.m

The children kept themselves entertained by talking. The girls were talking with each other about shows that they had seen on Netflix. Some of them were discussing their favorite characters from the show 'Friends'. Others were talking about '13 Reasons Why'.

The only person who loved 13 Reasons Why among the boys was Kirt Heinrich. He initially didn't like it. He used to hate it when other people discussed the show. But after watching the show he binge-watched it in three days. He fell in love with 13 Reasons Why.

In general, Kirt didn't like T.V series - though there were exceptions - because he thought that they demanded a long-term commitment, unlike movies which demanded a short-time commitment. Kirt liked 13 Reasons Why because he found the show worth his long-term commitment. After he finished watching the first 2 seasons of 13 Reasons Why, Kirt never found any other show worth of commitment like 13 Reasons Why, except for a few Spanish ones.

On RTV España (Spanish Netflix), Kirt loved the T.V show Sabuesos because he found it humorous and because there was a dog in that show. Any show or movies with dogs, Kirt watches it. That show was about a genetically-modified talking dog (initially engineered to commit evil against mankind) that befriends an aspiring detective and solves cases with him. Also on RTV España, Kirt found another show that he thought was worth his commitment - 'La Caza: Monteperdido'. It was a series about officers from Spain's Guardia Civil who were investigating the mysterious disappearances of two girls, Ana and Lucía, in Northern Spain. It was a psychological thriller, ending with one of the police officers going crazy at the end of the show.

Besides these shows, Kirt never found any other T.V series that were worth his time commitment.

Francisco Adelante was with the girls upstairs, trying to join them in their conversation. Francisco Adelante was obsessed with Stranger Things. He was so crazy about the show that whenever he meets someone, he would behave like a salesman hired by the makers of the Netflix series Stranger Things. Stranger Things was all that Francisco Adelante talked about, much to the annoyance of the people around him. He would always ask his friends if they saw a new season or episode of Stranger Things. Open his YouTube channel, and you would find hundreds of fan-tributes of Stranger Things that he made. Francisco was trying to talk with the girls about Stranger Things, but they just ignored him. They found him weird.

Not many people in the class liked Francisco. They thought that he was a guy without self-respect who would suck up to girls. The class' opinion about Francisco was that he was "the guy whose best friend is Siri."

************

10:30 a.m

Felipe was on a helicopter which was carrying him to a helipad in Santa Cruz Department. That day was the day of his transfer. The helicopter he was on was one of the remaining helicopters of the Bolivian Army that survived the flood which followed the collapse of the dam La Madre De Princesa Irene.

As the helicopter flew over Eterezama, Felipe stared down his window and saw how the areas he was flying over were flooded. A lot of huts were washed away. Cars were floating here and there. People were moving around in boats. The flood's impact on the villages was severe.

Felipe's eyes fell on a group of people trying to board a boat below the helicopter. When the last person got onto the boat, it capsized. Then everybody resurfaced from the water and tried to board the boat again.