XIX. Heads or Tails

[Recap on Sparkling]

"But I don't want to leave, Namjoon. I can't just leave yoo- you guys." He said softly, thoughts running for miles trying to think of a way. He just got to talk to Yoongi, to kiss Yoongi without consequence. How could he just abandon that? Abandon Yoongi?

"I know, but you'll have to, and it'll only be for a few months-"

"-Months?!?"

🌟~· Sparkling ·~🌟

   Jimin felt like crying. Away from the human world, away from someone who was so close in his grasp, and for so long? It's already been months and it's been horrible. Getting a taste of Yoongi and then being ripped away from him was just cruel.

   "I don't want to go." Hoseok gripped his hand tight, not showing any fear on his face but in the tremors in his hands. Seokjin had to focus on breathing or he was going to faint.

   They were both scared.

   Very scared.

   "Well what do you two want?" Namjoon turned to Seokjin and Hoseok, them instantly stiffening from attention.

   "I want to be safe. I want us to be safe." Seokjin spoke up, eyes peeking from under his dark eyelashes. (Now nobody needed to know this, but Namjoon was also having heart problems caused by a certain merman. Seokjin was making things hard.)

   "And you will be. I just need time to figure it out, and you all will end up fine in time." Namjoon reassured him, then turning to go back into the small room. Glancing over his shoulder, "I will be a couple of minutes."

   Silence fell over the four of them. They didn't know what to say. Yoongi was perfectly fine with the quiet, but taking a risky glance towards Jimin, he couldn't say the same. He had a glossy layer over his eyes, lips trembling, and a look of worry planted itself in his expression.

   "I'm sure he'll find something." Yoongi broke the ice with a cleaver, hoping it'll calm the youngest merman.

   "I'm scared he won't." Jimin admits to him weakly, and he knows that it is a chance. Jimin knows that too, but damn if he could change that.

   After several minutes spent staring at the floor or the room the magic boy disappeared to, he came out with grim features. "I have... news."

   "What is it?" Jimin practically jumped from his seat, desperate for something to hold on for hope.

   "Its- well to start off its not good news by any means, but it's a start." Namjoon tripped over his words, not knowing how to word this to the sensitive merman. Jimin nods, toes curled in anticipation.

   "Even just the tiniest bit of you is valuable. And if anybody gets a sample of that, they'll see you aren't completely human. That's when they'll stop at nothing for answers. So, I say, why don't we just make you completely human?"

   Jimin's shoulders and jaw slack and he sputters for words. "But I just- I can't- my brothers-" He stopped speaking when he got choked up with tears freefalling.

   "The way I see it, Jimin, it's either stay in the ocean or stay on land, because travelling between both worlds will kill you sooner or later. I know you like being human and I know you love being who you were born as. But it's time to choose."

   Jimin crumpled over, burying his head in his hands, shoulders shaking. Yoongi felt useless as he cried. He hesitantly lifted his hand to place it on the boy's back, and as soon as they touched, Jimin instantly jumped into his arms, trying to hide from the situation in the comforts of his Polo - clad chest.

   "I've said this before. It's not safe. Yoongi is proof of that."

   Jimin cried even harder because yes, he may be holding him but it's not like he had his memories. That was all on him.

   "It's not ideal, but it's something. Live as human or a merman, but you can't live as both."

   Namjoon kept bringing the facts and Yoongi wanted to tell him to stop because "look at him, Joon, he can't handle this right now" but they were true. Someone, one way or another, was gonna dig out the truth.

   "The whole reason you two were in the back room was because of it. Lisa was angry at me and had told me our relationship was nothing. She worked with a secret agency who knew about my work. She knew I helped someone half-fish, half-human, and said that I should watch my back. Once she left, I went looking for your brothers. They needed to know as much as you did."

   Namjoon tried to keep his calm but it was obvious he was reliving the memory of it. And it hurt all parties to hear this.

   "I might as well die if I can't keep living the way I want to!" Jimin hoarsely whispered, and Yoongi heard it and held the boy tighter in his arms. How could he respond to that?

   How does somebody help someone, who saved them from death no less, when all was hopeless?