Just a Rom-Com Away

"Something about this scene just isn't working." The director muttered under his breath. You sighed in relief. You felt it too. It was your first day of filming your new movie and it wasn't your typical genre.

Who even does rom-coms anymore?

'Come on, it'll be great for your image, critics will love it, you can finally get away from those action thrillers you've been stuck in!' Your manager had said.

But the thing was, you were just fine sticking with action movies. You rose to fame because you did your own stunts and managed to snag a leading role in a series of Blockbuster hits. You were doing quite well for yourself.

Until this scene.

"You know what, just cut!" The director shouted. You nodded and shuffled your chair away from your costar, the boy you were supposed to be 'falling in love' with.

Alexander Brownstone.

"Sorry, I'm not on my game today." The handsome boy apologized with a charming smile. His British accent was prominent when he spoke, and you wondered why you hadn't noticed it before. You smiled at him but were glad for the interruption of an assistant who handed you both bottled water.

"So-" he said, continuing the conversation, "on a scale of one to ten, how many shrimp do you think I can throw into the light fixtures before I get caught?"

"Half the plate, maybe." You offered, surprised by the new turn of events. "You do that a lot?"

"That's how I get through these scenes. Its easier to smile naturally when there's shrimp dangling over your head." You chuckled and watched as he picked up a shrimp, weighing it in his hand and looking up as if he was calculating the exact degree to throw it. Right when he raised his hand back for the final move, a sharp whistle came from the cameras. Our heads turned in unison to find the director mouthing 'NO' to Alexander.

Dropping the shrimp, Alexander turned back with a pout.

"Worked with him before, I'm guessing?" You asked, stifling a laugh. Your smile made him perk up in his seat and he grinned back.

"Twice, he does a lot of period pieces, that's what I've been in before now. Very British of me."

"So this is your first time on set in real person clothes?" He looked down at his tux and raised an eyebrow at me.

"This is what you call real person clothes?"

You looked down at the midnight blue ballgown that you were sporting, complete with a replica diamond necklace and studded heels.

"Yeah, maybe not."

We looked over to the cameras where it seemed as if they had forgotten we existed.

"Think we're packing up for the night?" You asked.

"Seems that way. Why, you have big plans?"

"None."

"Now you do."

You raised a makeup-filled eyebrow and scoffed, but you were intrigued. It was bold of him, and you happened to like bold.

    "Alright then. When should we meet?"

    He glanced at the clock and looked back at you, a full grin on his face.

    "As soon as you get that dress off. I'm driving."

    ~Three months later~

    "Hey Y/N, look!" Your boyfriend called, his feet up on your sofa. The first review of our movie is out!" You hustled over and, shoving his feet aside, pulled his phone over to you and read aloud.

    "The new film 'A Summer in Manhattan' was a colossal flop. The clothes were tacky, the plot was overused, and the lines were unbearable to hear. If there's one saving grace to this movie it is the undeniable chemistry between Y/N and Alexander Brownstone. Her action film background and his 1800s roles didn't give us much hope, given what they had to work with, but they were able to brush past it all to find an energy that conveyed true and absolute love to the audience." As you read, your smile grew.

    "I guess we won't be seeing much of a press tour for this one." Alexander joked, pulling his phone away and tossing it onto the couch. "Shame, I quite liked flirting with you in front of the cameras."

    "So what of it was a flop?" You said to him, turning, the smile still on your face. "We still managed to be the best parts of this. We did it!" He laughed and pulled you in close, holding you as you melted easily into him.

    "I'm glad we did it. It might've been a horrible failure, but I wouldn't have missed you for the world." He said quietly. With a chuckle, you looked over at the ring on your left hand. It was so new that you hadn't even left the house with it on yet.

    "Likewise."

    With that, the pair of you kissed easily, thoughtlessly, so simple it was like breathing. You were made for each other, and all it took was a crappy romcom for you to discover it.

    Thank God for romcoms.