Red Carpet Romance

You looked at him with lovelorn eyes and he stared back, his eyes flickering down to the paper in his hand.

    "But, Delila!" He whined, placing his other hand on yours. You cringe inside but don't let it show. "I- I love you!"

    "CUT!" Your director shouted, his exasperation much more evident than yours. Walking up to you and the hundredth guy you'd screen-tested with in the past week, he put an arm around his shoulders and walked him away, casting you an apologetic glance.

    You had made it big in high school when you were cast as the young version of an actress in a relatively unknown show that exploded in your junior year of college. Now here you are, two years later, with a dozen other roles up your sleeves and awards galore, but all the fame and love couldn't make up for the hours upon hours of tedious screen-testing with all the new people the studio wanted.

    You were a star. You know that. But one thing you are NOT is a diva, so the only complaints you allow yourself to say are to yourself or to your best friend back home. 

    "Sorry about that one, Y/N." Your director, Joshua Hayden, offered you a neatly wrapped sub sandwich which you accepted gratefully, opening it to see your regular order. "You've been such a good sport about it but we just can't find anyone." You shrugged indifferently, taking a hearty bite of your sub. He smiled, his eyes crinkling kindly. "We'll shoot some scenes with the minor characters tomorrow, get a head start." You nodded and he walked off, leaving you with just your sandwich and a sinking feeling in your stomach.

When will it end?

The next day you showed up to work in your favorite sweatpants, hair washed and face clean.

"Looking like a star, as always." The makeup artist commented jokingly, sitting you down in front of him. "Got the itinerary for today?"

    "It's wide shots and singles scenes today so we can get this pilot episode over with." You responded with a smile. Your artist grinned and began to pull out his brushes, and as he did you began to fall into the lull that the room created.

    Only ten minutes into your makeup, your trance was broken by a yelling match outside. The only words you caught were 'hot-shot' and 'brain full of termites' before your director barged in, pulling a tall, scruffy P.A. behind him by the collar.

    "This-" Director Hayden announced, "is our lucky day, Y/N."

    "Was the lucky day before or after the fighting match we just heard outside?" You asked, concern dotting your voice.

    "During!" He responded gleefully. Throwing the P.A. in front of him, Joshua spread his arms in the 'Ta-Da!' motion. "This is our boy." You wrinkled your brow and the makeup crew looked around in confusion.

    "Our boy for what?" You questioned politely, trying to catch the PA's eyes. He was biting his lip nervously, clearly as confused as everyone else.

    "He's our antagonist! I told you, I said we needed a man with fire in his veins to be able to make this work, and this is the kid." At those words the 'kid' tried to slyly make an exit but Joshua, apparently not as crazy as he seemed, seamlessly stepped into his path. "And he has a choice. Play the part of a lifetime, or get fired from his crappy PA job." The guy stopped, and you heard his voice for the first time, the same voice that you had heard in the yelling match outside.

    "Only if I get a raise." With a single clap of his hands, Joshua was back to his happy, grinning self.

    "Perfect! Let's get him camera-ready!" As Joshua walked out of the trailer, the makeup crew gently led the stunned boy to a seat, pulling out colors to compare him to. You gently leaned over sideways from your seat, poking him in the shoulder. He startled, looking over at you with eyes like a deer in headlights.

    "I'm Y/N, I'll be your co-star."

    "Co-star."

    "Honestly, you have a bigger role in this show than I do!" You remarked jokingly, but it seemed to be just familiar enough to startle him out of him daze and into the bright reality. He turned to you, his light hair moving as his head did. The makeup artists watched him, their trained eyes studying every feature, and you had to admit that you weren't displeased with your newly appointed partner.

    "I don't even have a script!" He exclaimed in a hushed voice. With a chuckle, you took yours from your lap and tossed it to him. It landed solidly in his lap and he stared down at it with a smile slowly beginning to grow across his lips. The crew started to converge on him, and he sent you one last swift glance.

    "I'm Logan Lantz."

    "Good to meet you, Logan Lantz."

     And here it was. The premier of your show, the beginning of a new era for you, but all you could pay attention to was Logan squirming in the seat of the limo next to you, adjusting his tie every few seconds with nervous hands. Rolling your eyes, you smacked his hands away from his neck and smoothed out his tie for him, giving it a final pat.

    "You'll be fine, the paps aren't gonna know it yet but you're going to be the biggest star on that carpet."

    "This is so weird, Y/N."

    "Yup." The limo began to roll to a stop, and he prepared to step out. "These are your last few moments of anonymity, anything you need to do?" You joked, but suddenly he turned, his eyes anxious.

    "Is there a policy against costars dating? Because I don't remember signing anything and I really don't want to get sued if I ask you out." Your jaw went slack, and as your driver opened the door you quickly composed yourself, letting Logan help you to your feet. The paparazzi had their cameras at the ready, their eyes gleaming at the sight of fresh meat. As the bright flashes lit up your vision you smiled, leading Logan through.

    "Was that you asking me out or actually asking if you're allowed to?"

    "You have really low expectations for me if you think I'm going to ask you out like that."

    "Pathetic."

    "Right? I did have a big plan to sweep you off your feet tonight but in those heels I don't know if you'd ever be able to stand again." You let out a guffaw and he laughed with you, his hand sliding naturally to your waist as you walked. A wave of happiness spread through you, and you knew that this was right where you were meant to be.