A Decent Proposal

"I'll just be another few hours, I promise. This shoot is just going super long." Your boyfriend of many years said through your crackly phone speaker. "Can you stay up for me tonight so I can see you?"

    "Yeah, yeah sure." You responded halfheartedly, running your hand through your hair as you surveyed the meal you had put out for the two of you. "We can reschedule our anniversary meal. Again."

    "I'm sensing a little sarcasm there, and I know I deserve it. I promise when I get home I'll make up for it, okay?" You sighed and said your goodbye, hanging up and letting your arm fall to your side. You walked around, blowing out the candles one by one.

    Puff. Your anniversary was weeks ago.

    Puff. With every plan cancelled, you became less and less sure that he would ever show.

    Puff. His photography career was important to him but you were beginning to wonder if he wanted you in his life at all.

    You gathered the food and put it away, your fears eating away at the under that had previously been there. And of course, you couldn't even fall asleep because he had asked you to stay up to see it.

    You began to run through the potential argument in your head, and by the time his car pulled up in the driveway you were almost in tears from the fake scenes in your head. Pushing them aside and taking a deep breath, you got up and pulled out the food, putting it in the microwave. You were hungry after all of that arguing with yourself. Your boyfriend walked in, lugging his bag of equipment behind him and setting it on the ground as he took off his shoes. Throwing you an apologetic smile, he tossed his shoes away and flopped forward onto the floor.

    "Tired." He grumbled into the rug, breathing heavily for dramatic effect. "You would not believe this day, but I'm gonna tell you right now, here's-"

    "Do you care about our anniversary?" You blurted out, interrupting his rambling. He looked up, the joking smile that had been playing across his face vanishing as he saw the seriousness on yours.  "I love how much you love your job but I'm getting tired of constantly rescheduling our dinner to be around you."

    "Crap." He muttered, getting up and crossing the floor to you. He wrapped his arms around you, gently swaying back and forth. "I messed up, didn't I." He said into your hair. You nodded, your hands automatically going to him.

    "I think so."

    "Can I explain?"

    "Shoot."

    "All my shoots for the past couple weeks went long because I was asking the models for their advice."

    "Advice on what?"

    "How to propose."

    "....oh. Wow."

    "Yeah. I wanted to make it special but not too big and not too public and I couldn't figure it out. I would've just asked you point blank but the girls told me I wasn't allowed to do that. Today they brought me out to help me figure out the rings and stuff and I just got so lost in it all and I'm still confused by it. Am I allowed to just ask you what your ring size it or am I expected to guess?"

    "You can ask."

    "Well whoops."

    You chuckled and he grinned at you, a visible weight off both of your shoulders. With a wink, he let you out of his arms and went to his camera bag, pulling out his laptop.

    "This is what I wanted to show you for our anniversary dinner and it was never good enough on time but I think I was just overthinking it." Pressing play, he leaned back and allowed you to watch the video on the tiny screen. Montages of pictures of the two of you flew by as music played in the background, ending in a birds-eye view of all of the photographs laid out on the ground to spell: 'Marry Me?' in big block letters.

    With tears in your eyes you turned to thank him, but when you locked eyes he was on one knee and had a tiny box in his hands.

    "So, what do you say?" He asked quietly, opening the box to reveal a small sparkling ring. "Will you marry me?"

    Just guess what you answered. Hint: your story ends in a happily ever after.