Love Isn't Rocket Science Until It Is

You weren't sure how you got this job. Even with your degrees in science and logistics, you had been up against other, more experienced scientists who knew much more about this field.

     But somehow, the group had chosen you to replace their teammate, and you were thrust into the world of things you can't explain.

    Let's have the low-down. Portals. It is believed by many that time is the fourth dimension, and space is the fifth. If you can figure out how to safely tear a hole, you have a realm of ultimate possibilities and unlimited chances.

     At least, that's what the team believed. You yourself were skeptical. Even thinking to yourself as you strapped some wires into a machine for a test run, you didn't believe in it.

     "Hey Y/N, that thing ready?" Asked Clark, the lead physicist on the team. You flashed him a thumbs up, moving around through the double sealed doors to the observation room. Everyone watched with bated breath as the machine turned on, whizzing for a moment before turning on with a ferocious roar. Everybody cheered like banshees, but as Mark stared at it you saw a hint of terror in his eyes. You walked over, squeezing his shoulder.

    "What's up? We did it, that's a good thing!" He turned, his face an ashy white.

    "It---it wasn't supposed to make that noise---"

     That's when it exploded and you erupted into flames.

*
**
***
****
*****
******
*******
********
*********
**********
***********
************
*************
************
***********
**********
*********
********
*******
******
*****
****
***
**
*

     "Are the others ok----"

    You thought you had said those words but realized when nothing reached your ears that you had only thought them. You cleared your throat and immediately proceeded to an intense coughing fit.

     "She's alive!" Came a voice you knew wasn't yours. "Alger come quick, she's alive!" Warm hands were placed on yours and your coughing stopped, like a miracle.

     "Can you open your eyes for me, beautiful?" Asked the kind voice of an angel. You wrenched your eyes open, expecting a white hospital room but earning only a view of the most attractive person you had ever seen. H/C hair, E/C eyes, and a cheeky smile with dimples that could hold soup and a jaw that could cut glass.

     "Am I dead?" You murmured, your voice finally escaping your mouth.

    "Didn't you hear us yelling that you were the opposite?" He said with a chuckle, helping to sit you up. You looked around, but couldn't quite focus on anything but his face. He smiled but suddenly looked away, blushing.

     "Sorry for staring, I just---you're very pretty." Your lips curved up and he ran a hand through his hair, sitting back in his seat. "Bet you get that a lot."

     "Not too much." You replied honestly. He frowned slightly, looking at your hand that was still in his. He didn't let go.

     "Where did you come from?"

     "[Hometown]." You replied. He laughed aloud, his Adam's apple bobbing up and down. Which was funny since his name was Adam.

     "Which planet, beautiful?"

    "Earth?"

     "Has the 2016 Presidential race already happened?"

     "What?" You couldn't think of anything significant about that year's race. The candidates had both been honest and nice, and nobody really opposed either. He let out a content sigh.

    "You lucked out. Made it to the good Earth."

    "What?" You repeated.

    "You're in between dimensions right now. We're in a middle ground until you get pulled back, which you will."

    "You're not real?" He winked, standing up and kissing the top of your hand before placing it back on the bed.

    "You just have to find me in yours, beautiful. I'll be there." Your vision became hazy, and his last word repeated itself over and over in your head. "Somewhere." Somewhere. Somewhere. Somewhere.

    "It's got to be somewhere Ben, pens don't just run away and hide." Your eyes shot open and you gasped. Immediately you heard a beeping sound intensify. Heart rate monitor. It was a dream. It had all been a dream.

    "How are you feeling, Miss L/N?" Came the doctors voice. You looked over and your heart skipped a beat, the corners of your mouth drifted upwards.

     "I feel lovely."

    "Beautiful."

    You'd found him. ;)