171: So Many Achievements to be Proud Of

Author's Note: Sorry for the delay in this chapter. This month has been a time of extreme stress, but I think I'm starting to come through the other side of that now. This story's helping me, I think, because I've got a little something I can be proud of. For the next week I'm going to try to write more than one chapter each day, and post one on Wattpad, so by the end of the week there'll be a little buffer in case I have another bad day; and a little reward for the people who're supporting me on Patreon.

I know this chapter is a little short, but I hope you enjoy it.

Adi was proud that she was getting the chance to show Daddy what a big girl she was. She did her best to sit up straight, and to smile and nod whenever she couldn't think of anything better to say. When the waitress came round to take their order, she found herself staring at her form-fitting uniform with blue stripes that seemed to glow under the weird lights here, but Adi knew that she shouldn't say anything about it until the lady went away again.

It took her a few minutes afterwards before she realised that she hadn't actually ordered anything. She'd been so distracted by staring at the uniform she hadn't even started thinking about what she wanted to eat or drink. She was sure that Toni would have ordered for her in any case, but it was a little embarrassing to realise that her choice was being taken away again. Humiliating, but also exciting in a way. It was all part of the game; she was doing her best to prove that she was a big girl, but it wasn't going to be easy.

She looked up at Daddy, and tried to think of the most sensible thing to say. But she'd been lost in her own thoughts for so long, she didn't even know what the grown-ups were talking about. Their conversation went back and forth over her head, and there was nothing she could grab onto. It wasn't long before she realised again that her reflection in the table edge was twisting and changing shape as she turned her head first to watch Toni speak, and then back to Daddy. And then she lost track of the conversation completely, and just watched her image dancing back and forth. It was more interesting, and more fun than she could have imagined.

The next time she looked up, there was a glass on the table in front of her with a crazy straw curling around the outside. She hadn't seen or heard it arrive, and she hoped that the waitress lady hadn't thought she was being weird as she stared at her reflection. She couldn't quite see what she was drinking under the funny-coloured lights. It looked clear, but the bubbles and the edges were lit up in a faint blue that didn't really match the lights overhead. She tried to pick up the glass so she could taste it, but fumbled as her hands didn't quite move where she'd hoped. She pouted, but then looked up at Toni and realised that it would be really, really embarrassing if Mommy had to help her with her drink. She needed to do this by herself, just to prove what a big girl she was.

She reached out with both hands this time, and got one on each side of the class. It was slightly cold, but she ignored that as she pulled it closer across the tabletop. She knew that she'd probably spill some if she tried picking it up, especially when she couldn't use her fingers, but with that straw she didn't need to. She just had to pull it to the edge of the table, where it was just touching the shiny mirror strip, and then stretch her head up until she could put her mouth on the straw. It was quite high, which she knew was crazy because she was still big-girl sized. It was only hard in her mind, but that was the same for a whole bunch of things lately. She could just try her best. It took her three tries to get the straw in her mouth rather than poking herself in the cheek, or seeing it come towards her eye. But eventually managed it, and after a few seconds and a few bubbles remembered that she would need to suck if she wanted to taste the drink.

It tasted something like lemonade, something like grapes, and something that she didn't knopw the name of. It was a good drink, but maybe not worth all the effort she'd had to put in to getting it inside her. But then, she'd been able to show that she was a big girl. That little sliver of pride, and the smiles of Mommy and Daddy as they watched her drink, were the most wonderful treat she could imagine.