17: It's All Just Pretending Anyway

"I can't believe you," Adi found herself laughing, in spite of her amazement. "You know how much people worry about you when you have an attack! How could you fake that?"

"It's not like it's the first time," Toni said with a one-shouldered shrug that sent her slightly off balance again, and she was leaning closer against Adi's shoulder.

"Well if it was fake, you don't need to lean on me, do you?"

"Aww, but you're nice to lean on," Toni pouted like a little kid, eliciting a fit of giggles from both girls, before she continued in a more serious tone. "No, I really do need your help here. The pen thing contains synthetic adrenaline, it speeds up my heart rate and spreads the drugs through my system faster. It's a hell of a rush, but that's what makes me dizzy after."

"A rush?" Adi felt like she was picking at a scab or something. Every little thing she learned only made her want to ask more questions, and every secret seemed to conceal more secrets. "You make it sound like actual drugs. Oh, please tell me you haven't been using that stuff just because you can?"

"Maybe once or twice," Toni admitted. "But the hangover's not so cool. I've settled down now, I'd only do it for something important. If I need to get out of class for something, or to help someone I care about."

"Thanks, I guess? I should be giving you the biggest lecture right now, but you kind of saved me from a major humiliation. So I think I owe you one."

By that time they were at the nurse's office. They both had to sign a little book to say they were there, and then Toni explained what had happened to the nurse on duty. She seemed concerned, but after listening to the girl's breathing she concluded that there was no immediate danger, and advised her to sit and rest for half an hour while they called her doctor to double check if any more tests were needed.

Adi rushed to the bathroom while Toni was giving her story, and then rejoined in time to say that she hadn't seen anything that the doctor would need to know. She had nothing to add to the report, but she decided to stick around while Toni spoke to the nurse. This was her excuse to get out of class, after all.

"Did you do the essay?" Toni asked, when they were alone in the tiny room.

"Yeah. I made mistakes, though. I worked out what I need to say, so I could read it out right and then update it tonight. But when she said my name, my mind was racing. I couldn't have got it right. I owe you."

"It's what friends do. And I kind of forgot to finish mine. Want to do a study date, maybe we can both finish up before we have to hand them in?"

"That would be..." Adi started, and then sensed the ulterior motive behind those words. "Study date? Or like, a date date?"

"Maybe a bit of both, if you want. Don't worry, I won't be trying to take advantage of you all evening, I promise. And I won't try to hypnotise you."

"It's oka– Wait, you know hypnosis?"

"Not really. I guess it's not all talking about looking into my eyes like the movies. But that sounds pretty hot, so we could try it and see if anything happens. If you really want to."

"I don't think so. I've had enough trouble with one dare. And you've done a lot to help me today, so I'll go along with your plans as far as I'm comfortable with. I owe you."

"Some help with that homework would settle that, I think. And you look good while you're working so there's nothing to complain about there." That was exactly the kind of insinuation that would normally get Adi feeling all defensive. But it didn't hurt her, she knew. She didn't really mind being eye-=candy, and she was sure there were enough boys staring at her every day in class. If she could make one of her best friends a little happier, especially after today, there was no reason why not.