160: I'm Always Involved When Making Plans

Author's Note: Sorry for the delay, folks. Most of my writing time this week has been devoted to handwritten text, which is always slower; filling in forty pages of a form for the government. That's what I call a nightmare; I think I'd probably prefer to be in Adi's shoes right now.

Have any of you figured out yet why she's finding it so hard to get out of baby mode?

"Does that mean I need to change you again? I think somebody's a little stinkybutt baby!"

Adi screwed up her eyes and tried to pretend it had all been her imagination, but she could still see Toni's expression, and hear the words repeating in her mind. She could feel the mess in the back of her diaper too, thwarting any attempts to deny what she'd just done. She couldn't believe it had happened, and even worse this meant she was stuck as a baby for the whole morning now. One stupid action that she couldn't even explain, and it would have been so easy to get herself stuck as a baby. The only light at the end of the tunnel now was a visit from the man she refused to call her father.

"Not a baby!" she managed to squeak, waving her hands around in the desperate hope of convincing Toni that this wasn't what she'd wanted. "Please!"

"Don't worry, you'll be a baby soon enough, Adelaide. Just be a good girl and lets get you changed again?" Adi knew she couldn't resist, she had to do what the grown-up said if she ever wanted to be a big girl. So she lay back as Mommy untaped the diaper she'd only just put on,

"I hope you're going to be a good girl for visiting your Daddy," Toni kept up a little chat in the background, though this time the conversation only had one side. Adi just listened now, unable to think of anything she could say. It was hard to think now, she couldn't say big words and she couldn't even remember all of them, but she could still try to think about what was going to happen today. And then the words filtered through to her awareness, and she automatically started to sit up in surprise.

"Daddy?" she gasped, focusing on the one word that had been so unexpected, she had taken a minute to understand what it meant.

"Yes, Adelaide," Toni said, putting a hand on Adi's chest to make her lie down again. "We're going to see your Daddy today. I know you guys don't get on so well when you're grownup, but he's paid for most of your presents, so we thought it's only reasonable that he wants to see you. He only knows a little about the regression thing, and he still thinks it's this new-age fad treatment for relieving exam stress, but he says he understands. He wants to be a part of your life, So he at least wants to speak to you now you're an adult, and now you're a child again too. He wants to understand."

"No, no, no..." Adi couldn't think of any other words, and she was almost babbling as the thought of seeing her father like a little kid crossed her mind. This was pure terror for her now, and she had to remember the safe word no matter what.

"Don't worry," Toni told her. "We've got everything sorted out. It's going to be quite a drive, and there's a lot of mileage in that for a little kid. You might end up napping part of the way, but I'm sure you'd love playing 'I Spy', or seeing how many of the things outside the window you can name. We were thinking that it would probably be best to have you not quite as a baby for the first visit, maybe fine tune the details with the trigger I've got so you can feel like you're five or six, and be able to tell Daddy how much this helps you. And then if you both want to, you could grow up for an hour or so, and let Aiden meet his grown-up daughter. But we can still be flexible. If you really want to be a baby, we could keep you little for the whole day. I thought that might be a little too much, but I really don't know. You've been so eager lately, and you're already going further than I ever thought you would, so if you don't want to grow up, just let me know."

"No!" Adi realised she was only a couple of decibels away from a toddler's screaming tantrum, but she needed her denial to be strong and emphatic. She struggled to find her words, to say what she meant rather than being swept away on a tidal wave of emotion, and eventually came up with: "No, no! Don't wanna ask... I gotta be a big girl!"

"You can if you want, but you don't have to," Toni corrected. "It's always your choice really. You can always say 'teleological' any time you want to be an adult again. And you can show me by your actions if you'd rather be a baby than a toddler or small child."

"No," Adi shook her head, and kicked out in frustration. She managed to grab Toni's wrist, desperately trying to get her attention so that she could make her understand, she really didn't want this. She knew that she should have been looking for the silver lining, that as soon as she was allowed to return to adulthood she'd surely be able to use the safeword again. But now her mind was filled with confusion and panic at the thought of her father seeing her as a little kid. That was something she never wanted to happen, and she had to say something. Toni was just sliding a clean diaper under her butt like they were carrying on with the game as usual, and Adi had to make her understand that this was completely out of bounds. She kicked the diaper away and grabbed Toni's wrist, looked up at her and mumbled something incoherent while she struggled to find the right words. Even if she couldn't think of big words, the volume should have showed off her distress.

"Fighting against your diaper?" Toni still answered, staying mostly calm. "Someone's really getting into the role. I'm pretty sure I was clear with the explanation, so I guess I'm looking after a baby all day again." There was a click, and the room was filled with plinking music-box lullaby tones, but Adi had already screwed up her eyes as she saw Mommy's free hand reaching for the switch.

"Be a good girl for Mommy, Adelaide," Toni pleaded. Adi felt herself pee just a tiny bit as she heard the name, but she'd not had anything to drink yet this morning and Toni probably didn't even notice. "Just watch the mobile so I can get you diapered."

Adi nodded and opened her eyes, desperate to impress the grown-up with how well she could behave. She looked at the little animal figurines above her, starting their chaotic dance, and she didn't even care about the words she couldn't quite hear overlaid onto the music.