15: You can't Make Someone Else Do What You Want

"Adelaide Spenser?" Miss Featherchase's voice was an eagle-screech that fit perfectly with her beak-like nose, but Adi wasn't in any mood to laugh about it. As soon as she heard her name, she felt her bladder muscles relax. Or she didn't feel them at all, going completely numb and starting to pee right in the middle of the class.

She couldn't let her distress show. She was wearing a pull-up diaper under her regular clothes, and she knew that nobody else could tell unless she made a scene. But the fact remained that she was wetting herself in class, and the teacher was expecting her to stand and walk to the front of the class right now. She wanted to give her speech, but how could she bring herself to walk normally while she was peeing? She needed to wait just a few seconds, and then she'd be able to keep her secret.

"Well?" Featherchase squawked. "We don't have all day, Adelaide."

The girl's bladder twitched again, not that it made much difference when it was already empty. But it dragged her attention kicking and screaming back to the warmth and the swelling of the padding around her crotch. There was no way she could think about her essay, or anything else around her, while that was going on.

There was a screech of metal chair legs on a tiled floor, and a clatter from somewhere behind Adelaide's left shoulder. Every head in the room turned in that direction, and then didn't return to Adelaide. Whatever had happened, it was more interesting than a star pupil hesitating to give her presentation. As a few seconds passed, it seemed that she might be saved from her predicament. Other members of the class were getting up from their seats and walking around, in strict violation of the centuries-old protocols of a Victorian schoolroom. Adi didn't quite have the courage to turn around, but she knew she was no longer at the top of the teacher's hit list.

Finally she got ahold of herself, and turned to look. Two desks had toppled, books and stationary scattered across the tiles, and Toni Walker was lying on her side, struggling to draw a breath. That got Adi's attention, even in her current state. She'd always prided herself on doing the right thing in a crisis, and now she tried to ignore the muffled crinkling from her underwear as she ran towards one of her best friends.

She opened Toni's bag without asking, and pushed through all the panicked and concerned students who were trying to help without any presence of mind. More pencils spilled onto the ground until her hand closed around a thin metal tube loaded with very expensive drugs. The injector was preloaded, precalibrated, and designed so that any idiot could use it. You just had to follow the bold numbers printed on the outside. One, twist off the cap. Two, turn a ring in the opposite direction to unlock the device. Three, press it against the inside of Toni's elbow, or anywhere else her veins were close to the surface. And four, press the release button down with a loud click. The needle popped out from the end of the device, and five seconds later Adi felt that she didn't need to panic so much.

There were already a dozen other pupils trying to explain themselves to the teacher, who looked flustered in a way none of them had ever seen before.

"Well, Spenser," she barked over the hubbub. "For quick thinking at least I cannot fault you."

"Thank you," Adi gasped, glad that this time she hadn't heard her full name. "I should take her to the nurse's office. She'll need some time to recover properly, and might be light-headed for twenty minutes."

"Are you sure you'll manage? We should send for–"

"I can walk, Miss," Toni wheezed. "Just need a little help, maybe. Don't let me interrupt."