71: You Don't Need to Ask if I'm Alright

Adi nodded and smiled, now really hoping that she would get to study at Moistville. Going to college had been her dream for a long time, but suddenly the location really mattered. She barely knew anything about Dean, but for the first time she felt like she'd met someone smart enough to interest her. Someone who knew the right things to say, and who was just as unimpressed by the petty interests of the majority of his peers.

She told herself that it wasn't just because he looked good, or because he was the first guy who'd given the slightest hint he might be interested in her as more than a piece of flesh to gratify him. It wasn't her hormones taking over, this was a guy she wanted to get to know as a friend. And if she kept on telling herself that, she might be able to believe it.

But first, she had to answer her phone. A quick glance at the screen told her it was Mom calling, she she knew she'd have to answer. She just had to keep an eye on the rest of the tour group so that she didn't get left behind, and hope that the enigmatic Dean didn't think she was snubbing him.

"Hey, Mom," she answered as calmly as she could. "Can't talk long, I think we're moving again. What's up?"

Just making sure you're okay, dear. It's a big day, and I want to be sure you're coping with all the pressure on you."

"Just checking up?" Adi didn't quite believe it. Mom knew how important this day was, and she wouldn't interrupt unless there was something on her mind. She was a little overprotective, but Adi was sure she didn't have the kind of mom who'd keep checking up on her without a good reason. "That doesn't sound like you. Is something wrong? Did... did you talk to Britney?"

"Why would you think that?" Mom answered with a question of her own, and Adi knew she'd hit the mark. Brit had completely crossed a line when they parted that morning, deliberately triggering the hypnosis thing, and it wasn't a big stretch to think she might have called Adi's mom for advice on how to apologise.

"Mom?" she asked again.

"Your friend is worried about you, dear. She wanted to know if she's offended you. So of course, I'm worried about you as well. Are you okay?"

"Britney called me Adelaide," she said after a few moments. A couple of days ago she wouldn't have been able to say anything about it, because Toni and Brit had been the only people she trusted to tell about the hypnosis thing. But now Mom knew what that name currently meant, she'd know how serious it was. She'd probably be the enraged mama bear, defending her daughter against hypnotic interference, and Adi was kind of glad that she had that protection now.

"And are you okay?"

"Y... yeah, I guess. I mean, she said she could make it so that it calms me down a bit. So I don't panic when it happens, right? And I guess I was kind of jumpy, and she just said it. I don't want her to feel bad. I mean, it kind of helped in a way. But not, like, doing that when I'm about to be meeting new people. I mean, I was terrified someone would notice." That wasn't quite true, Adi knew. The hypnotic suggestions wouldn't allow her to be scared. But she felt she had to mention it, to underline the fact that it wasn't acceptable to trigger her in public. She hoped that with Mom saying it so firmly, Britney would understand how much she didn't want that to happen again.

"Maybe she went a bit too far," Mom didn't seem quite as certain, or as angry, as Adi would have hoped. "It's not good to make it harder to make friends, when you have so much trouble with that. Maybe we can try to come up with some rules later? Times when you really don't want to hear your name would be a good one."

"I don't ever want to hear it. I'm trying to stop that happening. I mean, maybe it helped me to relax, but it's still weird. I don't think I'd ever say I want that."

"Okay, honey. I'll admit, when you said it was supposed to calm you down, I wondered if I should say it so that you won't be all stressed when your interview comes up. But when you're hanging around with –"

"No! Don't say it, don't even think about it. I'd die if I ever thought about asking for that. Even if it can help me be calm, it's just too embarrassing."

"Okay, Adi. I think you made your point there. And you don't sound like you need any help calming down. You sound happy. Meeting good people?"

"IT's, uhh..." Adi's anger dissolved in an instant, and she was almost as embarrassed. Did she sound like she'd just met the most witty, intelligent, charming boy she knew? Did Mom know how nervous she was feeling, but somehow in a good way?"

"Okay, dear. I'll let you get back to your new friends. Tell me about it later, okay?"

She hung up, and Adi gave a deep sigh. She'd escaped being triggered again, and her relief was palpable. She couldn't believe Mom had even considered that. Phone away, she saw that the few people she recognised were all gathered on the upper floor, so she needed to go after them. She turned to say goodbye to Dean properly, hoping she'd see him again before long.

"You don't like Adelaide?" he said. "Sorry, I couldn't help hearing. It sounds like a neat name to me, kind of exotic and sweet as well. But I'll remember not to use it in future."

"It's okay," Adi giggled, feeling herself peeing a lot more than she'd expected. Her diaper grew warm and started to sag, but the only thing on her mind was that this guy thought she was sweet and exotic. Her name, anyway. It was the first time she'd ever had a compliment like that. "I mean, the way you say it... I can see why you'd like it. You can call me whatever you want."

Her cheeks turned crimson then; being so forward was still something to blush about. But she was saved from explaining herself any more when the tour moved on, and she had to rush away. She was already looking forward to meeting Dean again.