41. Virgin Pure

All American Boys

Chapter 41: Virgin Pure

Isaac had been discharged that morning, and he had been allowed to go home. He didn't tell me. Not a call, not a text, nothing. He knew I was coming today. And he conveniently didn't tell me he wouldn't be here. I had to ask a nurse.

It stung. It really did.

Running was Isaac Anderson's forte. He ran away from every single one of his life's many problems. And just like how he ran away from admitting that his father was an abusive piece of shit, he ran away from me. Up and disappeared.

I had to sit in my car for a while, just letting the engine run. I closed my eyes and let out a deep sigh.

I thought everything was going to be alright. I thought everything was finally going to go back to how it was before. I was complacent.

Pulling out my phone, I called Isaac. I took a deep breath as I waited. I listened to the phone ringing. I was about to give up after five rings, but finally he picked up. I honestly wasn't expecting it. It gave me the little spark of hope that I needed.

"Hey," he said from the other end. "Why'd you call? Is there something going on?"

I swallowed my own saliva. It's just like I thought. He seemed distant, his voice not even showing the slightest hints of concern. It was as if nothing had happened.

"I'm," I began, careful not to let my voice any sign of distress. "I'm at the hospital right now."

It took every fibre in my being to not lash out at him.

"Oh, right," he said. "I-I forgot to tell you. I was discharged this morning. I was about to call you actually."

If there was one thing Isaac was bad at, it was lying. He forgot to tell me, but in the same breath he said he was about to inform me. Right. He had known. He had known all along.

"Right," I said, biting my lip. "That's fine. That's totally fine."

"Yeah," he replied.

There was a tense silence between us.

"Alex, I-"

I hung up before he could even finish his sentence. There was only so much I could take. Sure, I've hurt him before, but this wasn't fair. I was just trying to make things better for the both of us, and this was what I got in return?

That's right Isaac, run away. That's the only thing you're good at. If his dad had a fixation over track and field instead of football, he would've loved him.

I stepped on the gas and drove out of the parking lot. I tried my best to forget about it, but I couldn't. All I could think about was Isaac's green eyes. Driving through town, I finally pulled up on the street.

Seeing the familiar porch just outside my window, I hesitated for a while. But I couldn't hold back anymore. My anger, my jealousy, my mixed feelings, it all just got the better of me.

I'm going to show him. I'm going to show him how much it hurt. I didn't really care anymore.

I loved him, I loved him with all my heart. But he's hurt me.

The past month without him was the most desolate I've ever been. I was trying to set things right, I was hoping for a brand new start, just the two of us. And when he told me yesterday that he wanted to be happy, I wanted the same. And I was happy. It was the happiest I've been in a while.

And in just one selfish, calculated move he snatched that bliss away from me and pushed me back into the darkness of the deepest ravine.

I wanted to love him, I wanted to keep him. But in this moment of anger, pain and confusion, first and foremost I just wanted to hurt him.