7. Lies Can Buy Eternity

All American Boys

Chapter 7: Lies Can Buy Eternity

"I didn't mean to disturb you," I began, trying my best not to sound too nervous despite my heart thumping loudly in my chest. "But I was wondering if it's okay if I joined you?"

The young man broke eye contact, letting his green eyes wander across the grass. Yet at the same time, he took his bag and placed it on the other side of him, so I took it as an invitation. Whatever it was, he didn't flinch or pack up when I sat beside him so I took it that I made the right choice.

"You come here a lot?" I asked, trying to break the tense atmosphere that had enveloped the both of us.

"Yeah," he replied, fidgeting with his fingers. "I come here sometimes."

"Gets a bit lonely here don't you think?" I said, taking out my lunchbox from my bag.

The young man merely grunted as I unwrapped my half-eaten sandwich. He didn't say anything for a while, and I didn't know what to say either. The fact that he didn't chase me off was good enough for me. I just ate there in silence as he sat there, the tip of his shoe tracing circles in the ground.

"I want to say that I'm really sorry," he finally said, breaking the silence. "I overreacted, and I shouldn't have said that. I-"

He seemed like he wanted to say more, but he just sighed, letting his shoulders fall.

"Look," he continued, burying his face in his palms. "I'm just really bad at apologies. I was an idiot. I'm sorry."

I looked at him, still unsure how to reply. My silence probably caused him to sit up and turn to me, looking at me with his sad green eyes.

"It's fine," I said to him. "I get it, you're angry. And we sometimes say things we don't mean."

I noticed the young man's lips curl up into a slight smile, before he turned away again.

"Oh, I got this for you," I said, remembering the canned coffee I had bought at the vending machine earlier. "Hope you're not allergic to coffee or anything."

The young man chuckled as he ran a palm through his hair, while his free hand grabbed the can from me.

"Thanks," he said, opening it.

"Coffee makes me happy," I told him. "Well, let's just say I didn't really know what else to get you from the vending machine."

I opened mine as well and watch him chug down the whole can, a few drips of the dark liquid falling from his lips and onto his jacket.

"Woah slow down," I said. "Not that fast."

"You said it makes you happy," he said with a smirk. "So you better drink yours up before I chug it down too."

"Well aren't you a bundle of joy," I said, taking a sip from my can.

"After what happened just now I sure need as much happiness as I can get," he said.

I noticed his eyes wander over to the field again.

"I'm kicked from the team," he told me.

"That's rough," I replied, not really knowing what to say. "It must be hard after you've worked so hard for it."

The young man scoffed.

I gulped. Maybe I said something wrong.

"Have you eaten?" I quickly cut in, changing the subject. "I haven't seen you eat anything."