25. I Bet on Losing Dogs

All American Boys

Chapter 25: I Bet on Losing Dogs

I had put on my nicest white shirt and a pair of checquered plaid pants. I carefully applied pomade to my hair, styling into a pompadour.

I looked into my own blue eyes in the mirror, my lips curling up into a smile. My teeth were perfectly in place. My eyes squinted just well enough.

I had been practicing. I had to practice the perfect smile that I had to wear when the time came. When I had to finally see Richard Anderson after all these months.

A bit overdressed for a study date if you ask me, but that wasn't what I had in mind. My heart was skipping with excitement with what was to come.

But what if it backfired? What if it all goes awry? What if nothing went according to plan?

I shook those irrelevant thoughts out of my head. My plan was going to work. It had to. I dusted those empty doubts as I straightened my collar in front of the mirror.

But what if Isaac got hurt?

I paused for a moment, my hands freezing in place.

Well, I thought to myself. If that happens, then that's unfortunate. But it had to be done. Besides, it was for his own good. I was the only one who could save him from himself, and if he got hurt in the process, then so be it. He'll realise how better off he'll be after this.

In my excitement, I nearly forgot to take my books. What study date would it be if I didn't bring any materials?

Before reaching the Anderson's picture perfect home, I made a stop by the florist. It was a special occasion, so of course I had to order some pretty flowers.

The red spider lillies I had ordered were beautiful. They were wrapped into a bouquet with a fragile sheet of black paper. Almost like a thin veil.

Pulling up into the wide driveway, I stepped out of my car and walked up to the front porch. Taking a deep breath, I pressed the bell, and waited.

A few moments later the door flew open, and Isaac stood there, a wide smile on his lips. His bright green eyes lit up when he saw me. But the smile was gone when he saw the flowers, his expression grew worried.

"He'll see this," he said in a low, hushed tone. "H-He'll think that we're-"

"Relax Isaac," I assured him, placing a gentle hand on his forearm. "I got this."

"Please," he insisted, barring my entry with his arm against the door frame. "Get rid of it. Get rid of it, now."

His green eyes were filled with fear as he took a look over his shoulder. I took that as my chance and slipped under his arm. Briskly making my way down the hallway, I ignored Isaac trying to stop me. But when reached the living room, he froze. And I did too. Just for a moment, to regain my composure.

Richard was seated on the armchair, reading a book. He had looked up when he heard the commotion Isaac and I made, and our eyes met. He was wearing a cashmere sweater and a pair of chinos. I picked the corners of my lips up into a smile. The smile that I had took so long practicing to perfect.

"Alex," the older man said, putting the book down on the coffee table and walking up to me. "It's really nice to see you again."

"You too, Mr. Anderson," I replied sweetly.

"Well," he said, looking down at my arms. "What's with the flowers?"

His eyebrow was raised in curiosity. Or was it suspicion?