26. A True Love of Mine

All American Boys

Chapter 26: A True Love of Mine

Isaac walked me down the stairs, through the hallway until we reached the front door. I could hear the buzzing of a hand phone coming from the next room.

The young man unlocked the door, holding it open for me. He wanted me to leave.

"So this is it then?" I said as I stood halfway through the open door, trying to stall.

"Yeah," Isaac shrugged. "I guess."

"Cool," I said. "So you're just going to throw everything away like that?"

Isaac said nothing, avoiding my gaze.

I heard a notification buzz coming from the living room. Any time now.

"I can't believe after everything we've been through," I said, still trying to buy time. "That we're just gonna end things like this."

The young man's lips parted, as if he wanted to say something, but he never said it. Even if he did, he couldn't. Not with what happened next.

"Isaac!" Richard's voice boomed from the living room.

The poor boy's face turned pale, the blood rushing out of his cheeks. He tried to push me out of the door but I stood my ground, clawing my way back inside.

The older man was fuming, walking up to the two of us with rage. There was something animalistic in his eyes, his glare looking like it could burn holes into Isaac's soft skin. Any minute now.

"How dare you," he said, his voice low and deep. "How dare you, Isaac!"

He didn't seem to care that I was there right in front of him. When Richard cared not for appearances anymore, that's when you know you've really gotten to him. Really shook him to the very core.

"D-Dad," the young man said, raising up his hands slightly in front of his chest. "What's wrong? What did I do?"

"What did you do?" the older man hissed. "You dare ask me that? When you were out there making out with boys in the locker room?"

The young man just looked at him in horror, his eyes widening. Green, teary eyes full of fear.

"I didn't spend eighteen years of my life raising a faggot!" Richard shouted, his fists clenched as he walked up to his son. "I didn't spend all these years only to have one of my sons cut all ties with me and the other a bloody queer. How can you be so selfish Isaac? How could you?"

Isaac was backed into a wall his hands in front of him to protect himself. It was only a matter of time before the anger got too much for him. I could've intervened but what was I supposed to do?

"Dad!" the young man pleaded as he shielded himself with his arms. "I'm sorry! I'm sorry!"

Richard brought his hand back, as if he was about to slap the poor boy. It was then when I decided that I couldn't bear watching this scene unfold any longer. In a split second, I gathered up all my strength and tensed up my fist.

"Stop it!" I shouted. "That's enough."

I was shaking, but I tried my best to hold my ground. I couldn't let him see that I was scared. I couldn't let him win. I didn't expect him to get so violent.

Richard stopped and turned around. He was trembling, his chest rising up and falling back down again. Seizing his chance, Isaac slipped away from behind him, scurrying up to me.

But Richard said nothing, merely staring at me from where he stood, rooted to the spot. He really let his anger and rage get the better of him this time. You'd think that someone who was recently diagnosed with a heart condition, he'd do more to keep his blood pressure and the strain on his heart to the minimum. But I suppose old habits died hard.