22. Revelations

All American Boys

Chapter 22: Revelations

Isaac and I sat silently on the small dining table. The atmosphere was tense, and neither of us had spoken much since we arrived. Hayden was in the small kitchen area, preparing coffee. The only sounds to be heard was the clinking of the metal spoon against the sides of the porcelain mugs.

Hayden had waited for our arrival right outside the gates of the base. It was much easier if we were escorted, he told us. He got into the passenger seat and told me which way to go, until we reached his small house. It was a small one-storey with a porch, on a street lined with other one-storeys with porches. They sidings were all painted the same shade of grey.

It was where all the single servicemen lived, he told us. The house was small, almost container-like, really. The kitchen, living and dining area were one, and to the right was the bedroom and bathroom. We were staying just for the night, and I had brought some extra set of night clothes for Isaac and I in a backpack. I had told my mom that I was spending the weekend with Emily and her friends in Richmond. She had just grunted when I told her, I didn't know whether it was because she didn't hear me or she just didn't care. I wouldn't know.

The two siblings haven't really exchanged any words other than the initial greetings. Sure, they were brothers but it didn't feel like it. As Hayden returned to the table with 2 mugs of coffee, the heavy tension just returned, enveloping me in the middle.

"You're not having any?" I asked as I grabbed the mug in front of me.

"I already had mine this morning," Hayden said as he took the seat in front of Isaac and I.

Isaac was hesitant, but grabbed the mug and brought it to his lips. He looked at me with uncertain green eyes, to which I just smiled reassuringly.

He had been nervous all throughout the journey there. Sitting in the passenger seat in his snug blue sweater, he kept fidgeting with his fingers, shooting worried glances at me every now and then. I was driving and had to keep my eyes on the road, but I tried to check in with him every now and then when I could.

"I don't know Alex," he told me as I was waiting at a traffic light. "What if he hates me? I'm the one who cut him off."

"He's your brother Isaac," I said to him. "He understands."

"The only time we actually interacted was when he tried to get you to tutor me," he replied. "I-I don't know why I decided to reply that time. I've always wanted to talk to him again but I never really had the courage to send him what I feel."

"You haven't interacted since?" I asked.

The young man only shook his head.

"I just thought I already went too ahead of myself," Isaac shrugged. "He did try to ask me how I was doing after I had settled the thing about you, but I never replied."

The young man looked at me dejectedly. I guess we both had the same intentions in visiting Hayden. To dig up old bones and find some sense of closure. Even if it hurts doing so. I had my questions for him, and so does Isaac.

"I think the very fact that you're already willing to come and see him is good enough," I said, trying to comfort him. "At least you're trying."

"Yeah," the young man replied. "At least I'm trying."

And as I watched him sitting there, getting more comfortable facing his brother – it made me happy. It almost made me forget the main reason I was here in the first place.