34. Riot of the Statues

All American Boys

Chapter 34: Riot of the Statues

Right. It was my birthday - the 20th of October. I had been to preoccupied with Isaac to care.

"Thanks," I muttered, as I turned to look out the window. "You remembered."

The forests covering the hills that nestled Bethlehem had begun to turn from a lush green to various hues of yellow, red and gold. I never noticed how beautiful Autumn was. It was ironic, how death could be so beautiful – that the leaves in their dying breath let out one final flourish of vibrant colour before falling to the ground. I guess it was a show of defiance, in their last moments dying in glory.

I could see him looking at me through the reflection. A sense of shame crept over me. Here he was, the boy who loved me more than anything, yet here I was, wanting to break up with him. That desire was fleeting, coming in waves. Sometimes I wanted to just outright breakup with him then and there as I sat in the car, but at other times I held my ground. Cyril was important to me.

To be precise, Cyril's position and proximity to his father was a strategic asset, not his heart. If his feeling were hurt, that's just collateral damage. War is nothing without casualties.

There are days when I feel lie doing just that, to hurt him, to tell him how he doesn't mean anything to me. To watch him cry and make him bleed. But of course, he was much more useful to me if I stayed on his good side.

Sure, he was enjoyable, but he wasn't enjoyable enough. He was plain, perfect, and to be really honest, boring. Everything there is to him, there left something more to be desired. From his personality to his to looks, to the sex that we had, I just wasn't satisfied. Well, he was stellar if you just put him on his own, and I was sure many others would rather be in my place. But when I compared him with Isaac, the answer was obvious. Isaac understood me, he knew me. Whereas with Cyril, I couldn't help but feel like there was always a clear glass screen separating us. He was always so distant, despite being so close. It was because he just couldn't stop looking at me with his rose-tinted glasses. But Isaac, despite his flaws felt like he was always with me, even though we may be far apart.

And as painful as it was, I'd always crawl back to Isaac. I was sick and tired of running away. I was finally willing to make things work out.

"Are you hungry?" Cyril asked me, as we drove further along the shore. "Have you had breakfast?"

"Well," I said. "I bought a sandwich earlier from the vending machine."

"Oh come on," he said. "We'll go get you some proper breakfast. It's your birthday, you gotta eat right."

I only smiled and thanked him. We were on the coastal highway now, somewhere heading north, towards the naval base. He couldn't possibly be taking me to the naval base, could he? What business does he have there in the first place? I was too tired to ask.

For all I know, he might bring me to some abandoned construction site and smash my head in.

Not like I think he would do that. He was too sweet, too kind. Even if it comes to it, I doubt he could kill another human being. I don't think he's capable of doing that. A shame, really.

"We're heading to Antioch," he told me, even though I didn't ask.

I only grunted in response. Antioch. The closest thing to a small city in the area. I've been there a few times with Alicia and Hayden, but never really stayed there for long. There were probably about a couple hundred thousand people there, located right next to the naval base. The last time I've been there was with Isaac, when we passed through it to meet his brother. Even now, I couldn't stop thinking of Isaac.