Chapter 20 - The Council

["The Council"]

{Location: The White House - Washington, DC}

"It's been sometime since the ambush on Rexus Prime. The situation is dire. Duke Wellington, the Prime Minister of the United Front, has called for a meeting inside the white house. Those who have invitation to attend such meeting are Admiral David Morgan, the minister of defence (MD), the minister of foreign affairs (MFA), the Minister of Finance (MOF) and the rest of the ministers and high-generals. The meeting is about to start"

Duke: Everyone. I thank you for coming. You may be seated. As you all know we are in a difficult situation. Half our fleet is...destroyed.

MD: I have the numbers, Mr. Prime Minister. About 52% of our fleet is destroyed. Many lives were lost, sir.

MFA: We have no other choice but to negotiate with them. A peace treaty for now will be the best solution. Or maybe even a white peace.

MD: We already tried for a peace treaty.

MFA: No. We tried for the end of the war and a strong victory for us. This is different. Now we just need some time. That's all. To recover.

Duke: Indeed, minister. But I doubt this man will accept peace for nothing. He will surely try to counter with something of importance to both EUF and the Rexians.

MOF: Hm, yes. No doubt he will also try to go for planets and space stations. No. A peace treaty will not favour us.

MD: I suggest enhancing our defences and strengthening our forces in already controlled planets. A good defence is the best offence, Mr.Prime minister.

Duke: Yes, indeed. Mr.David Morgan, what do you suggest?

David Morgan: We can't push right now. Any space battle we make is going to be mostly lost. If we keep losing men and ships like this, we won't be able to win the damn war. I suggest we do hit and runs, sir. That way we will minimize our casualties and inflict major damage to the enemy. Then it will be a good time to strike via space...Though a best solution would be to enlist more troops. We have still many transports at the ready. If we throw more troops into the fight, then the enemy is going to lose. It's peer size and manpower that wins the war.

"Suddenly an informer rushes through the door to the council. He brings bad news"

Informer: Sir! Sir!

Duke: What is it?

Informer Sir! Neptune is under attack! This is an emergency, sir!

MD: That was...to be expected. Sir.

MFA: If they keep pushing then it's likely they are going to make it to earth very soon, Mr. Duke.

David Morgan: Duke. The defence of Earth is at your hands. You decide our next movement.

Duke: I...I. Ah. This is...harder than I expected. We don't have many choices. And we must act quick.

David Morgan: Duke, listen to me. We don't have time. And we can only count on this. It's time. It's time for the "Independence".

Duke: You can't really be serious! This thing isn't even done yet.

David Morgan: I know. But it is our only hope. I am afraid that if we delay some more, they will lay siege on earth in a matter of weeks.

MD: It's true, sir. We need some more time. But even then it won't be completely done. It has many weaknesses.

Duke: Alright. Alright. Admiral David Morgan, I will give you about a week until this "super"-weapon is complete. For God's sake, let's hope that it is.