38. Never Let Me Go

All American Boys

Chapter 38: Never Let Me Go

It felt like an eternity as I held him in my arms. I was sobbing, and so was he. Planting a kiss on his cheek, I breathed deeply and took in his scent. I caught the fragrance of shampoo in his golden hair, and traces of witch hazel on his freshly-shaven face. I just wanted to hold him forever and never let him go. I didn't want to lose him again.

But of course, we finally let go, and I stepped away from him. I couldn't stop looking into his green eyes. Those glazed eyes, this time filled with tears of joy.

"You smell so nice," I complimented him.

"You smell like crap," he snapped back.

I couldn't help but laugh as I shook my head.

"It's the first shower I've had ever since I blacked out," he chuckled. "Felt really great. Hayden helped me out, of course."

He was all smiles now, and it made me really happy. It was almost as if everything that had happened between us had just vaporised. I didn't want to think about the conversation that I'd be forced to have with him. As of now, I just wanted to be happy. I just wanted the both of us to be happy.

It's what we deserved.

"I missed you so much," he said as I sat myself down beside him on the edge of his bed.

"Me too," I replied as I caressed his cheek with my hand. "I'm just so glad you're finally better."

I reached in slowly, and our lips met. He had just brushed his teeth too, and his breath smelled minty. His lips were soft and tasted sweet against mine. I pressed against him with slightly more force, and I felt him opening his mouth, inviting me in. Our tongues touched for a brief moment, and I couldn't hold myself back any longer. I pushed hard, my tongue more forceful in my excitement. I held his wrists down, against the mattress as I was about to climb on top of him. However, he turned his face away, breaking the kiss as he resisted me.

"Hey," he said, chuckling nervously. "Handle with care."

I immediately pulled away from him, feeling horrible for what I just did. I didn't mean to hurt him, and with him still recovering I should've controlled myself better. In my excitement and joy I supposed I just forgot about everything.

"I'm so, so sorry," I apologised profusely as I sat on the armchair beside the bed. "I got too excited."

"Me too," he replied, wiping his lips with the back of his wrist. "But yeah, I still need to recover."

His face was all beetroot, and I felt my cheeks on fire. But at the very least, I could feel that he still yearned me. I immediately tried to change the subject. My eyes searched the room, and immediately landed on the book that he had tossed aside on his bed while we hugged earlier.

"What book do you have there?" I asked him. "I'm sorry to interrupt your reading earlier."

"Oh, this?" he reached for the book and picked it up. "Well, nothing I haven't read a thousand times before."

He held it up.

The Lottery and Other Stories by Shirley Jackson.

"Oh," I muttered. "You're still reading that?"

"It's one of my favourites," he replied. "I thought I've told you that before."

"You did," I replied, a grin curling up on my lips.

He smiled back. It was nice to be like this once again. With nothing but happy memories and sweet moments between us. Times like those felt so far away.