Chapter 1~My New Fake Boyfriend

My best friend in the whole world is telling me that I have a problem.  I think there’s a problem with that.

Let me explain:

I’m invited to multiple V.I.P. parties that I prefer to not go to.  I would rather sit on my bed at home in my fluffy panda pajamas while eating sherbet and watching soap operas over going to concerts in which I get free tickets for all the time.  But to please Lillian, I do it anyways.

Lillian has been my best friends since we were born in the same hospital I guess.  I mean, I was an infant so I wasn’t really capable of having friends, but whatever.  We do everything together; shopping, volleyball, sleepovers, bonfires near Manhattan Beach, even concerts.  It used to be Justin Timberlake or Black Eyed Peas concerts, but when Lillian’s father began recording records for Big Time Rush, Lillian was introduced to Big Time Rush.  Yippee.

I’ve always hated their personalities.  Yes, they are hilarious on TV, but looks are deceiving.  Off screen, they are your plain old celebrities…convinced that you and everyone around you are their slaves.  Sorry Logan, but you can get your own root beer from the refrigerator that is two feet away from you.  That is the reason why I stay away from them as much as possible.  So while Lillian waits patiently for the four idiotic boys to emerge from the stage, I tapped my foot, wondering when we will be heading home, away from this sickening madness of screaming girls.

It felt like hours before they finally came through the curtains, jumping up and down with sweat beads on their foreheads.  I don’t see how any girl would find that attractive.  I got pretty irritable by the time they were finished getting cleaned up and having makeup put on their faces for when we walk out to the limo.  I think you are ridiculous if you need to redo your makeup to walk out to a car. 

Kendall got us backstage passes, which he’s never done before.  I actually like being backstage.  I don’t have to deal with thousands of drooling girls surrounding me.

As I stepped out the back door, in front of Big Time Rush and all of their security, I saw the metal fences that blocked the screaming girls from tackling us.  One of the girls I skimmed over was crying.  Gosh, what has this world come to?  Some of the girls glared at me.  How would any girl enjoy this?  I just want to get out of here as soon as possible.

When I least expected it, a strong arm slid around my waist from behind me.  I jumped.  Oh boy, someone’s going to murder me, or worse, do some very icky things to me.  Before I could let out a blood-curdling scream, the person who was gripping me shushed me with a harsh tone. 

“Just go with it.  I’ll explain later,” the boy told me.  I exhaled when I realized that it was James’s voice, but my blood boiled also.  I hated him the most.  He just thinks he’s all that, and it sends me off the edge.  Now he’s got his arm around me, for a reason that I don’t know, probably to make him look good.  Thanks for the humiliation, James.

He remained quiet the rest of the way, stayed so close to me and often attempted to hold my hand.  I slapped his away every time.  I felt everyone’s eyes on me, especially the girls.  If looks could kill, that’s what I felt like.  Boy was the smell of jealousy thick tonight, jealousy for the wrong reasons.  I especially noticed Lillian’s eyes on me.  I hope she wasn’t jealous for the wrong reasons too.  She’s always been only friends with Kendall, Logan, Carlos, and James, but none of them have ever asked her out, which is what she dreams of.  I would let her take my place right now in a heartbeat.  I rolled my eyes when James gave the crowd one last wave before he helped me into the limo. 

Once the door shut and everyone was settled, I shoved James into the window with all of my strength.  Unfortunately, it barely affected him.  Now’s my chance to make a scene; when only five people are watching me, not thousands of girls plus the annoying group of paparazzi.  

“What in the world was that?” I snapped.

“Yeah, what a girl catcher you are, James,” Kendall chuckled.

“Literally,” Logan snorted.

James shook his head, “I panicked last week and told one of the biggest magazine editors in America that I have a girlfriend.”

“But you don’t have a girlfriend,” Carlos blurted,

James paused with an annoyed expression on his face, “Thank you, Carlos, for reminding me,” he said with a heavy amount of sarcasm.

I rubbed tiny circles into my temple with my fingers, hoping it would subside the pressure.  “So I basically have to play as your girlfriend for a few days?” I choked out the “G” word.

His face scrunched up in hesitation, “Well, maybe a little longer than a few days.”

My eyes widened.  I couldn’t believe I was hearing this.

“You see, the editor of Entertainment Weekly ran into me last weekend and asked me how my relationship was going.  He told me that he was going to put an article about celebrity relationship updates and that I was going to be in it,” he laughed under his breath.  “At that point, I was mentally banging my head against the wall.  I forgot about it until just a few minutes ago, when I saw him and his little posse of cameramen.  I panicked, so I pretended that you were my girlfriend.”

Here’s another example of a selfish celebrity act.  He’s humiliating me in front of the millions of people who read Entertainment Weekly, only to make HIM look good.   I feel like a guinea pig right now.

For the rest of the ride home, Lillian remained unusually quiet, James looked out the window, and I stared at nothing with my arms crossed.  I almost punched Carlos when he and Logan began to do creepy arm movements to the song “Elevate”, but I held my temper.

I was so glad to flop on my bed, finally away from Big Time Rush.  Well, not exactly.  My parents are… difficult, so I moved into this super expensive apartment with Lillian as soon as I turned eighteen.  Lillian’s dad is filthy rich now, so I don’t have many worries.  I never went to college; I was hoping that my singing would go far, but it hasn’t yet.  Anyways, James, Logan, Carlos, and Kendall all live in the same apartment, two doors down from ours.  I think it’s a bit creepy, four boys living in the same apartment.  Whatever, not my problem. 

I almost drifted off, but a light pouting noise kept me up.  I looked over to see streaks of water down Lillian’s face.

“I hate you,” she cried.

I froze completely.  In the twenty-one years that I’ve known Lillian, the girl I trust and dump all of my deepest darkest secrets on, I’ve never heard her tell me those three words.

************

Sorry guys, first chapter is a little boring.  It's just the first chapter, and I made it short so you don't get bored. :D  Don't worry, this story will get interesting pretty quickly.  I just realized that if you like "The Proposal" and "The Hunger Games", you'll love this story!

Don't forget to VOTE and COMMENT and FAN so I can DEDICATE!!!!!

Xoxo, Nicole