Photo #37

[ SONG BY DEAN LEWIS ]

Thanks to ScarsHearts for recommending Stay Awake. As I read the meaning of the song, despite it may sound upbeat, it's actually a melancholic break up anthem. The singer didn't want to let go of the relationship although his partner had decided to leave. Instead, he asked her to "stay awake" with him, as in to "hold on". In Photographs, despite Mina had left her, Chaeyoung was the one holding on to her remaining feelings for the woman and their memories.  

###

1 January 2019

"Hi, Momo. This is Mina." 

I leaned against the door frame, arms crossed, looking at Mina who sat by the desk talking over the phone. After breakfast, Mina decided to call her ex-employer to check if she could apply for a dance teacher position at Hirai Dance Academy. 

"Thanks. Happy New Year to you too," Mina said.

There was a pause as Mina listened to Momo. Their conversation inaudible to my ears from where I stood. 

"I'm fine. Don't worry. My ankle has long recovered," Mina's eyes fleeted to her ankle, which was injured a few months ago.

Another pause. 

"Yes, about that. I was wondering if I can talk to you...?" her voice trailed off. 

Then, Mina's eyes widened at whatever Momo was talking at the other of the line. 

"Really? I can do that?" Mina's voice couldn't contain her excitement. 

Now that got me curious. 

"Wait a minute, Momo," said Mina rather incredulously, "I haven't expressed my interest and you already know what I want to say, that's great of you. But do you really mean it? Having me back at the school?" 

Momo must had affirmed it because Mina broke into a wide grin. 

"Oh my God, Momo!" Mina squealed, "Thank you so much. I can't wait to go back." 

I smiled in relief. It seemed Mina was reinstated as a dance teacher in Hirai Dance Academy. I could not be any prouder. Dancing was her passion and I supported her ambition.

"Hey hey, hold on," said Mina then lowered down her phone. She looked at me and asked, "Do you want to talk to Momo?" 

I unfolded my arms and closed our distance. Mina handed me her phone and circled her arms around my waist while I stood in front of her, one hand pressing the phone onto my ear whereas the other played with Mina's hair. 

"Happy New Year, Momo," I greeted. 

"Oh? Is this Chaeyoung?" she sounded bemused.

"Yeah, it's me," I chuckled. 

"Huh, what are you doing together with Mina on New Year? Does that mean you guys are...?" she didn't finish her sentence on purpose.

"We're together," I replied, feeling Mina's embrace tightened around me as she hid her face into my stomach. 

"I guess true love always finds a way to come back," mused Momo. 

I laughed, "I think so. How's Sana?" 

"She's always busy. Japan and Korea, back and forth. She's preparing for her February comeback," the admiration in Momo's voice didn't escape my ear.