Photo #26

Author's Note: 

I'm actually curious. Who's your favorite character in this story so far? Leave a comment!

Mine, is Nayeon. 

###

16 August 2018

I sat in my idling car, blasting the air conditioner and a ballad playing softly from the radio. From a distance, my eyes were focused on the lone woman sitting by the floor-to-ceiling windows, overlooking the hustle and bustle of Seoul's major railway station. In front of Jeongyeon, a venti sized iced coffee stood erected on the wooden table. 

I dreaded this moment but it was inevitable. I got all worked up over Mina, but the thought of Jeongyeon did plague a small part of my mind. I was actually quite surprised it took her more than two weeks to call me out. 

As much as I wanted to be hostile to her, I knew she didn't deserve that. To have her discover our past relationship from a drunken friend's slip of the tongue, both Mina and I were at fault. Moreover, our friendship stemmed on a memorable night before fate decided to play games on us. I was jealous of Jeongyeon but my issues weren't her fault. 

And of course, I didn't want to create more bad blood as that would only put me at a disadvantage from seeing Mina. 

I'll apologize to her and see what she has to say.

"One iced Americano, please," I placed my order to the female barista and paid her. 

"Coming right up," she thanked me with a friendly smile. 

I leaned against the waiting counter while I secretly watched a clueless Jeongyeon a few feet behind her. She didn't notice I had entered the coffee shop, too engrossed with whatever she was doing on her phone. 

I thought of how we first met three years ago. It was November. She was a complete stranger who helped me from being beaten up for stealing in a convenience store. I was in a slump and it turns out, Jeongyeon wasn't doing so good too at that point of time. We didn't actually become friends right away, because we parted ways not knowing the other's name, but we were both grateful for the emotional comfort we received. It was enough for me to muster up my courage and take my first step in battling depression. She went to pursue her Masters degree in the USA and sadly, that was how she met Mina. 

It was very weird to think that if Mina and I didn't break up, maybe all of this mess wouldn't have happened. Our lives wouldn't have existed as the way it was right now. Mina wouldn't have gotten together with Jeongyeon then came back to Korea as a couple and became my very own torment. Jeongyeon probably would still go to the USA but instead, met some other girl that wasn't Mina. Then, perhaps I would still run into her and we would've become really good friends. 

Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant, filled with odd waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like. But fate is also a combination of choice and chance.

"Chaeyoung-ssi!" The barista shouted above the noisy chatter in Starbucks, successfully breaking my thoughts and capturing Jeongyeon's attention. 

She turned over her shoulder and our eyes met for a fraction. I gave her a sheepish wave but it was greeted by an impassive expression. 

Confused, I collected my iced coffee and made my way to the booth Jeongyeon has occupied.

"Sorry for the wait," I began, settling down in my seat.

"It's okay," said Jeongyeon flatly. She put her phone back into her jean pocket. 

"I'm sure this is gonna be long so I might as well get myself a coffee," I poked the straw into the lid.