Photo #24

13 August 2018

But why do I feel like my heart has been ripped apart?

"Mina! Wait up!" yelled Nayeon.

She shot me a pitiful glance before she sped off after Mina.

Tzuyu and I were left alone in the meeting room. The formal part of the grand opening had long ended. The guests were invited to mingle around and enjoy the refreshment while they chatted.

She walked up to me, patting my shoulder, "Are you okay?"

"I feel....sick," I stared at the spot where Mina vanished into the crowd.

"Do you want to talk about it?" she pulled out a chair, gesturing for me to sit.

"I have to go," I declined. 

I put away my camera hastily into its bag and set out to find Sana. Like a frantic madman desperate for his pills. The anxiety I was so accustomed to, was slowly making its way across my body. I couldn't let it swallow my heart. I couldn't let myself drown. 

I must not drown.

But where had I done wrong to deserve Mina giving me the cold shoulder? Despite my strong feelings for her, I followed her wish for wanting us to stay friends yet her indifferent behavior made absolute no sense to me. I made amends with her for our bitter past. I was there for her when she needed me. I tried my best for her. Was she really going to hold a grudge against me over my little careless omission?

Or is there something more?

I returned to where the interview session was held. A fairly large dance studio. It was vacant. Rows of chairs set up facing two long tables, where Momo and her team had seated a while ago. I caught a glimpse of my sad reflection on the mirror. I could almost feel it mocking me for being so weak. 

A soft noise followed by some shuffling of footsteps pierced the silence. Startled, I turned to look for its source. A store room attached to the studio.

The door flew open and Sana emerged.

Her eyes were red.

What the hell?

"Sana?" I was so shocked, "What happened?"

She quickly wiped off the beads of tears lingering on her flushed cheeks. 

"Chaeyoung," she said with a forced smile and dodged my question, "Where have you been?"

It took me three wide strides across the room and gathered her in my arms.

"What happened?" I repeated.

Sana let herself nestled on my shoulders for a quick moment before she pulled away, reminding me that we were still in public.

"I want to go home," she sighed. 

Nodding, I grabbed her purse and helped her with her trusty mask. It would do to cover her tear-stained face before leaving this place full of people. The last thing we needed right now was drawing more attention. 

"I need to talk to Momo for a bit before we leave," Sana flinched at the dancer's name which added my suspicion, "Do you want to come?"

She shook her head. A little too vigorous.

"Can you make it out here on your own?" I asked.

Still reluctant to speak, she answered with a faint nod.

"Wait me by the car," I walked her out of the room and we parted ways.

The crowd had dwindled. The event was coming to an end, leaving the caterers to clean up. Momo was going around the lobby, bidding each guests farewell, occasionally stopping to make small talks.