Photo #16

18 July 2018

"You're not allow to go alone tonight."

Yeri resumed her typing while I stood across the desk, staring wide-eyed at my assistant. We were in my home office, ready to start the day happily until Yeri brought me this piece of instruction. Tonight was the closing ceremony and appreciation dinner for my photo exhibition. It was going to be a huge event and we were expecting a lot of media coverage. 

"Are you kidding me?" my voice rose a pitch. 

"Do I look like I'm joking?" Yeri grimaced. 

"I didn't know that's a rule!" I threw my hands up in the air, exasperated. 

"Now you know," closing her laptop, Yeri stood up to face me. Oh great, she was fucking taller than me. Why am I so short? I'm like a dwarf in a world full of giants.

"This is too rushed. Who am I going to ask?" I asked, "Can't I just bring you?" 

"No, everyone knows I'm your employee. Just ask your friends. I'm sure one of them is free tonight," said Yeri. Huh, easier said than done. 

"I don't see why me going alone is such a big deal in the first place," I whined. 

"It's not good for your image. If the organizers require everyone to bring a guest, you have to bring one. This is business custom. Trust me, you want the sponsors to know you're a sport. So, be a good girl and go ask someone," the younger girl explained, giving me a pat on the shoulder. She walked out of the room, leaving me tongue-tied.  

"Jeez, don't forget I'm your boss," I grumbled, earning myself one of Yeri's death glare. 

We reached my kitchen. Yeri started pulling out cups and saucers while I sat on the bar stool, sulking. If someone was to bring me a mirror, I probably looked like an Angry Bird. Tzuyu used to be so obsessed with that kid game. 

"Coffee?" Yeri waved a packet of instant coffee at me. 

"Yes please," I mumbled. 

I fished out my phone from my pocket and scrolled through my contacts. Most of the numbers being my clients and acquaintances. I knew for a fact Tzuyu and Mingyu were going out on a movie date to celebrate their anniversary tonight. I didn't really fancy calling Dahyun or Momo too because that would be awkward. I doubted they would make themselves available for me. 

My eyes widen when they landed on Mina's name. Before I could even think twice, I swiped her name to call, feeling my heart taking off in high speed. 

"Hello?" her soft silky voice rang into my ear, enough to lift my mood above cloud nine. 

"Good morning, Mina," I winced so hard when my voice cracked at the end, "I was just wondering if you're free tonight? There's this dinner and I have to bring along a guest."

"Oh I would love to, but I'm sorry Chaeyoung. Jeongie is bringing me to her colleague's birthday party tonight." 

Great, she just dropped my mood into the deep dark ocean. Possibly drowned. 

"It's okay. Have fun," I rushed my words out, trying to hide my disappointment and jealousy. 

"You too," she said cheerfully before we hung up.  

Throwing my phone aside, I planted my head on the kitchen counter and groaned. 

Oh my God, why did I just do that? 

"Nothing coffee can't cure," Yeri pushed me a hot steaming cup of bittersweet aroma. 

"I have no friends," I grabbed the cup and sipped the brown liquid.