Chapter 65: Alistair

[A/N: sorry for the delay!! Happy reading! And I hope you are all pleased with this twist!!
Thanks to Niki for editing!!
Susan xx]

CHAPTER 65: ALISTAIR (Carlisle's POV)

My beautiful Grand daughter is missing and we have no clue where she should be. We knew she was with Tanya, but that was all. Edward had informed me of his confrontation with Nevaeh, one of the newborn's Tanya had created recently in, what we believe, was an attempt to create a family of her own. I sighed to myself as we ran through the dark street's of Canada, endlessly looking for any trail's or sign's of them. But so far we had found nothing.

I was still struggling to understand why Tanya was doing this to us. She had long been a friend of our's, and I couldn't comprehend what would have given her enough reason to go to such drastic measure's. To take a member of our family away from us. Of course, I had known for decade's about Tanya's love for Edward, I had once even tried to encourage it.

 I struggled not to flinch at the memory of how many time's I had spoken with Edward about Tanya and the possibility of being together. He had been so unhappy for so long, All I had wanted for him was happiness, he deserved it. But, of course, he hadn't been interested in Tanya. I wondered if he had alway's picked up something sinister in her thought's, or whether this really was just down to jealousy. I hoped it was the latter, but of course, I knew that if Edward had indeed registered something not quite,right about Tanya he would have never told me this. He had respected my friendship with her too much.

I tried to put the question's to the back of my mind, knowing I had no way of finding an answer to them right now and pushed on with the search. Carmen and Eleazar following only a few stride's behind me.  It was then that my phone started ringing,

"Hello?" I answered cautiously, seeing Edward's name flash up on the cell's display. My stride's slowing, as I allowed Carmen and Eleazar to run ahead of me.

"Carlisle, How far are you from home?" my son asked, panic evident in his voice.

"About four hour's!" I told him "What's wrong?"

"Someone's at the house" he snarled, a sickening sneer to his usually calm voice.

"Lucas?" I guessed

"Most likely" Edward reasoned "but Rosalie is alone with Henry"

I sighed heavily, knowing there was no way I would be able to reach them before any of the other's "Do you want me to.."

"No" Edward intercepted "Stay away. And don't mention this"

"OK Son" I agreed, the word's had barely left my mouth when the line went dead. I shook my head slightly, trying to be reasonable and ran to catch up with Carmen and Eleazar who were now out of my sight. Something that I still wasn't entirely comfortable with, after Edward had reacted badly to a vision of Alice's. I had never gotten a chance to ask Edward about the vision but I had concluded we had reason not to trust them with the truth, and although it made me uneasy to be keeping secret's from my friend's I knew that I had to, Edward would never lie without a good cause.

I pushed forward, following the scent's and eventually caught up with them about three mile's later.

"Is everything alright Carlisle?" Eleazar called back over his shoulder, not slowing down as he spoke, his hand still entwined with Carmen's.

"Fine" I answered as convincingly as I could "Edward was just updating me"

"Anything new?" Carmen called,

"No" I answered, gritting my teeth as I spoke "nothing"

"Oh dear" she sympathised, "I do hope we find something soon"

"So do I Carmen, So do I" I sighed, now closing the slight distance between us.

We continued running for about an hour before the wind changed suddenly and I picked up the scent, It was a dark, musky scent that was somewhat familiar to me.

"Do you sense that?" Carmen asked, coming to a stop and turning to look at me.

"Yes" I nodded, automatically turning in the direction the smell had come from. I bowed my head slightly and ran for only a minute or so before I saw him. His body was partially blocked from my view by a tree, but it was definitely him.

"Alistair?" I called, as Carmen and Eleazar came to a stand still behind me,

"Carlisle, my old friend" Alistair smiled, stepping out from behind the tree, his arm's outstretched in a friendly, welcoming gesture. "It's been too long" I remembered the last time we had met, it had been during the run up to the Volturi's visit, not long after Renesmee's birth. Alistair had left, he believed we were all destined to be destroyed. So he had left, I had never held it against him though, he was free to do as he pleased.

"Indeed" I agreed, stepping toward's him, a slight smile creeping up onto my face.

"What bring's you all the way out here?" he asked, looking over my shoulder questioningly at Carmen and Eleazar.

"Well" I frowned, "You remember my grand daughter Renesmee?"

"Ah, Yes" he grinned "That odd little half breed girl. Causing you more trouble is she?" he looked over my shoulder and addressed Carmen and Eleazar, "You know, I was lucky to get away from it last time I'd do the same if I were you"

"Alistair" I cautioned "Renesmee is not causing me any trouble, She never has"

"Well, I must beg to differ" he said, raising his eyebrow's as he looked at me, whilst seeming to be  amused "The girl is different Carlisle, too different, and we all know what happen's to those of us who are different don't we?" a brief yet evident smile graced his face "Look at your coven for example" he gestured his arm's in my direction "You are seen as outsider's because of the way you choose to live"

"That as may be Alistair, but I am not prepared to discuss my life style choice's with you right now" I saw no point in reminding him that our "coven" was actually a family. He would only, no doubt, find that amusing as well "Now, if you do not mind, We will excuse ourselve's now and continue our search"

"Search?" Alistair questioned a hint of interest showing in his voice, the idea of us looking for something must have appealed to him, "What are you searching for?"

"Renesmee," I answered him "If you would have let me finish, I was about to tell you that she is missing"

"Missing?" Alistair smiled, "Well, well, well, that girl certainly is a danger magnet isn't she?" My eye's widened in wonder at Alistair's choice in words, and I was reminded instantly of Bella before she was changed, and how Edward was convinced she attracted danger. I brought myself back to the moment and addressed my acquaintance in front of me.

"As I said Alistair, we must go now" I turned and looked back toward's Carmen and Eleazar, and began walking slowly toward's them.

"Well I shall see you soon then my friend" I heard Alistair call after me.

"Let's go" I sighed as I reached Carmen and Eleazar. Eleazar nodded at me and together we turned to walk away.

"Oh!" called Alistair behind us, "Eleazar, I was surprised to see that sister of your's when I was in Italy the other week. I thought she was the leader of your coven?"

The three of us all turned to face Alistair at the same time, and I was sure my confused expression was mirrored on their face's.

"What did you just say?" Carmen asked, a slight hiss echoing behind her word's.

"Your sister" Alistair repeated "She is in Italy. You didn't know?"

"I'll have to call Edward" I sighed after Alistair had told us about his recent trip to Italy. Tanya was working with the Volturi, we had been looking in the wrong place the whole time, and now we would have to reconvene and decide on what we were going to do next.