🔅Chapter 4: The Windows To The Soul

Thomas's Pov

"You need to learn a lesson nigger! One that you will never forget!" he yelled before dragging my small body out the shack by my hair.

I groaned and shrieked in pain as rocks cut into my skin. My master pulled me over to the long pole that stood in the middle of the backyard. I tried to pull away but, it was futile and in a matter of minutes, he had my hands tied.

Tears streamed my face as I caught my dad's eye. He stood there with the others and watched. They didn't do anything for they knew they'd only rain down consequences far more harsh than mine. He tilted his head in shame and guilt. I wanted to hug him and make him feel better.

"Y'all better pay attention. You negroes need to be reminded of your place. Young or old, y'all will be treated the same. I will not tolerate disrespect from a nigger" the man spat before ripping the back of my shirt.

I heard it before I felt it. The sound of the leather slicing through the air before it made contact with my skin. I shouted in agony but, was ignored. Lash after lash after lash was delivered until I could see the puddle of blood around my feet.

My voice was hoarse from my screams and as the last strike was delivered I felt to my knees buckle beneath me. Tears and snot covered my face as I heard the whip drop to the floor. Listening to the sound of boots coming toward me, I lifted my eyes to look at my master.

"You may be a child but, your still a nigger. Isn't that correct?" he told me and smirked.

"Y-y-yes s-s-sir" I whispered.

"Good. Clean him up!! I expect to see him back in the stables for work" the man snapped before heading off.

When his figure had disappeared from sight completely everyone came to help me. My dad untied my hands. I had no strength left and was ready to hit the ground but, he caught me. I knew he was carrying me off somewhere but, I soon passed out from exhaustion and blood loss.

"Thomas" a voice whispered coaxing me from my sleep. I went to rub my eyes when I felt pain. It caused me to whimper and when I glanced down my chest wrapped tightly in white bedsheets.

"Daddy" I cried as the pain worsened.

"I'm here Thomas," he said appearing at my side. My ten-year-old mind couldn't comprehend the emotions that coursed through my father's eyes. The only one I recognized was pain. I didn't see the anger, remorse, and guilt. The guilt was heavy, a weight he carried on his up until the day he left the earth.

"I'm sorry" I sniffled gripping his palm. They were so much bigger than mine.

"It wasn't your fault. None of this is. It's just the world we live in son. A world that is full of hate and destruction. This isn't your fault, okay" he sighed petting my head.

"Did he hurt you, daddy? I thought he was hurting you. That's why I hit him" I mumbled.

"Don't worry about that Thomas. I want you to remember something. We submit to survive but, one day they will regret the day they wanted us too. Karma always has a way of evening out. God knows what he is doing even when we try to question him. He has a plan for us" he told me.

I nodded in response to my father's words. He was everything to me. After we were separated from my other siblings and my mother, I stuck to his side. He taught me the word of God and how to read. We were forbidden but, that didn't stop him. 'Knowledge is power', he used to say and he was correct but, it was also a curse.

I wish I could go back and not find out the truth cause now it haunted me every day. It held me captive in my nightmares. It reminded me that I was all alone in this wretched world. Forced to abide by the rules those of porcelain skin have written. Made to remember that I was the reason my dad died. I was to blame for his execution.

He was killed so he could get to me and he did. The scars on my back weren't the only thing my old master gave me. The man was responsible for the hatred that rooted itself in my heart, the guilt and remorse. All the things I saw in father eyes and now understood completely.

⛈⛈⛈⛈⛈⛈⛈⛈⛈⛈⛈⛈⛈⛈

It is storming right now. I thought you all should know that. This chapter was set in the past which is why its in italics. Anytime I write a flashback to the past or future it will be in italics. Anyway, this chapter was difficult to write. I've had to step away from it at least 3 times. What do you guys think Thomas's old master did to him and his father? What do you think of the story so far?

VOTE/COMMENT

---MissTAYTAY1 XOXO

---MissTAYTAY1 XOXO

⛈⛈⛈⛈⛈⛈⛈⛈⛈⛈⛈⛈⛈⛈