167: Getting Myself Ready to Escape

Author's Note: Only a short chapter today, but I hope you enjoy it. And thanks again to Jordan for the support on Patreon.

Is this what you were expecting to happen? The hardest part of writing, for me, is figuring out which hints the readers might have noticed, so that I can make sure the surprises and twists are timed properly. I keep checking on TVtropes to see if my stories have a page yet, because the insight into what the fans are thinking (and seeing which details you think are noteworthy) would make it so much easier. So far the only one I've seen is Mr Hook's Big Black Box (and the published books), but I can keep on hoping!

* * *

Adi stared at all the clothes Toni was pulling out of the closet. Summer dresses, or smart clothes that might pass for a school uniform, or even a caricature of a business suit. She couldn't wait to try them all on, and after a few seconds she realised she was standing there with her mouth hanging open. Deep inside, she knew that she wasn't going to spend long pretending to be a grown-up, because as soon as she got changed the suggestions would fade and she could escape. But when she saw the number of different outfits she could choose from, she couldn't help wishing that she could play along for a while.

She told herself that was the hypnosis speaking. Toni had told her to be super excited about playing dress-up, and she was more excited than she'd ever been about anything. Maybe even more excited than she'd been about unwrapping her presents, and that was the most fun she'd ever had. Or more fun than trying to play video games with Toni, while she was too young to properly. Or... She realised that there were dozens of moments in the last few months that were the most fun she'd ever had, but that didn't change the point. She was excited because Toni had told her to be, and she knew that she had to go back to normal as soon as she got changed. This joy was something she would allow herself to enjoy while it lasted, but she wouldn't let it carry on too long no matter how much she wanted to.

"Okay, Adelaide? Are you ready to get changed?"

Adelaide nodded, eyes wide and gazing at all the beautiful clothes. She barely even noticed herself wetting a little as she heard her name.

"And you're going to be a good girl for Mommy?" Toni continued. "You don't want to spoil the game, do you?"

This time Adelaide shook her head. She didn't want to ruin the game. She was going to have fun as long as it lasted. And it took a lot of effort to remind herself that she was going to be a big girl again soon. Hearing her name still gave her an incredible need to please Mommy, and to do what she was told, but that didn't make too much difference. She was going to do her best to be a good girl while she got changed anyway, and enjoy all those wonderful big girl clothes, and after that she was sure she'd be able to feel a little more grown up.

"Well then, be a good girl for me. You know that the hypnotic trigger I used isn't as strong as the baby behaviours you give yourself, and it doesn't last as long. So I want you to repeat those baby behaviours back to me, and make sure that you can enjoy pretending to be a big girl just as much any time we decide that you should play dress up. And don't worry about the big words, because even if you're a baby, you'll be able to use big words when an adult's helping you to choose some new baby behaviours."

Adi grinned, and nodded in excitement. She knew that trying to make herself more grown up again didn't usually work. But this time, just giving her permission to use big words in one special case, was bound to be different because if helped her to be littler in the long run. She was so excited to try it and see, and the words tumbled out of her mouth so fast that she tripped over her tongue a few times as she started babbling: "If I was a baby I'd get super excited about playing dress up. If I was a baby I'd love the feeling of..."

It worked! She could say all the big words she wanted, and it felt amazing after a day of not being able to. Adi didn't even pay attention as she repeated what Mommy had told her to say, maybe exaggerating or getting carried away a little bit here and there. She was so excited about all the things she was going to feel, but seeing Mommy nodding proudly as she did what she'd been told; that was the greatest reward she could imagine.