Chapter 22: Hayley's games

Grabbing my phone I dialed 999 whilst keeping tight pressure on my dad's wound. I yelled to Caleb to grab towels and his was face aghast. Trembling, I used the towels to block blood running out.

The gash seemed to be a critical size, allowing the fast movement of the crimson liquid to spew. He dipped in and out of consciousness as the phone finally clicked.

"Hello, what's your emergency?" The women on the other end asked.
"I-I need an ambulance."
"What's the situation?"
"My dad has been stabbed and needs an ambulance."
"Your dad has been stabbed?"
"Yes! That's what I just said. You need to get and ambulance down to 7 Grovener Road Sw16 4pt now."
"I just need to get the correct infomation Ms. There's an ambulance and police car on it's way and will arrive in 5 minutes."

I half sighed that help would come soon but I was still on edge. Are we even safe? I knew one thing, that Xavier would pay for everything. My dad's head flopped back in my arms and my heart raced faster.

"DAD! DAD, PLEASE. Stay awake until the ambulance get her. Come on..." I breathed heavily feeling like the air was getting thinner and thinner.

"Ms what is your name?" The lady asked.
"Cayden Young."
"And your dad?"
"Jordan Young."
"Is the attacker still in the house?"
"No, the attack wasn't at my house. I believe it was at a house near the local park. My dad walked back by himself. There are probably traces of blood on the pavement."
"Alright. Is your dad still conscious."
"H-he's unconscious but still breathing."

I heard sirens in the distance and felt a glint of hope fire up within my chest. As the sound got louder I felt the beat of my dad's heart stunt. The heartbeats become softer and I soon struggled to feel a pulse. The door banged and my brother opened it swiftly.

It all happened so fast. The paramedics took my dad. Me and Caleb were in the ambulance. The sirens rung down the streets telling people to move. The doors opened and my dad was taken away. My brother and I rapidly followed behind the doctors until they said we could no longer follow. I crumbled in a waiting chair praying everything was going to be okay. I held my brothers hand tightly to be as reassuring as possible.

"Excuse me, Ms...." I was softly awoken by a nurse. It seemed I had drifted off to sleep, "Your dad is okay. There were some fatal damages but he is a fighter and did well during the operation."
"Can we see him?" Caleb asked.
"Yes but he's not awake and won't be for a while."

We eagerly trailed behind the nurse to his room and sat down on seats given. I held his hand gently and thanked the lord for answering my prayers. My dad looked peaceful and his chest rised and fell softly. I clenched my jaw at the overpowering feelings of hurt, anger, sadness and relief. I couldn't describe the things I wanted to do to Xavier but I wouldn't let myself go out of control.

Caleb quietly cried to himself holding onto dad as if he was his lifeline. I had to keep my family safe and my friends safe and for that to be done Xavier would need to be put in prison.

We stayed like this for several hours. I didn't get one wink of sleep, eager to see my dad wake up. Closely, I watched his eyes stir but never flinched open. I sighed disappointed and feeling sleep dragging me down but I forced myself to keep alert.

I couldn't help but blame myself for all of this. If I had finished him on my own and my dad wouldn't be in this hospital. I grit my teeth annoyed that I couldn't keep my family safe. Tears brimmed as I thought of the prospect of one of my friends dying because of me. It was my fault. The Headmaster was right, I blame others for my own mistakes and never take the responsibility.

My blood boiled; I was enraged. My thoughts became irrational and I was starting to think unreasonably. I wanted to storm out of this place and right to Xaviers house and put a knife right down his throat. To see him choke on his own distasteful blood. His pleading eyes beg for help as he scrambled around on the floor. Oh, how I'd love to see that but what Taylor had said before was true and we had to work together.