When she saw that he looked amused, she blushed and bit her lip.

"Sorry, I tend to ramble."

Phoenix only hummed, although his eyes still looked at her analytically, like he was trying to figure her out. His gaze was invasive, and it made her feel hot.

"Why do you keep looking at me like that." She murmured quietly, her bubbly exterior suddenly simmering to a shy one. She ran a hand through her hair to make herself look more presentable, just in case her dishevelment was the cause.

"I like looking at you."

His answer surprised her, and she felt her throat close up.

"Why?" She squeaked.

She suppressed a shiver when his hand pushed a strand of hair behind her ear, his fingers lingering on her neck for a moment longer.

"I already told you."

"U-um y-you did? I-I don't really r-remember so..."

A small smirk lifted his lips, the boy garnering much enjoyment from watching the girl stutter and stumble over her words. Phoenix bit his lip as mischievous thoughts ran rampant in his head, urging him to act on his feelings, his dirty, irrational, uninhibited feelings.

"How would you feel if I kissed you right now."

Phoenix watched her closely, his eyes drawing down to her tongue that poked out briefly to wet her lips. He was being unwaveringly blunt, but that was just him. He wanted this girl; he knew that now. He was over being cautious and considerate he didn't care about that shit anymore.

Soft, beautiful, and sweet, Penelope was everything he wasn't—everything he shouldn't have; but it was all the more reason why he craved her.

"K-kiss me? Why would you do that? Y-you've barely talked to me— I didn't even think that you liked me."

Penelope's widened at her words, and she backtracked, "N-not, like, like me, I-I meant, like me as a friend, o-or...yeah."

Although she was cringing from her awkwardness, she couldn't help but feel flustered at his admission. Phoenix wasn't just some guy; he was large, intimidating and painfully ambiguous—he was hot. He wouldn't have trouble attracting any kind of attention, male or female. She was unconvinced that in such a short amount of time, he had taken a liking to her. And if he had, he sure had a weird way of showing it.

"I know that I've been a dick, I'm not used to..." he trailed off, deciding not to go into detail, "I do like you—like, like you." His lips twitched in amusement as he copied her phrasing. "Let me make it up to you."

His voice was a low rasp, and the faun haired girl was sure he would be able to convince anyone of anything with that tone. He was a bit mean, she would agree, but forgiveness was her middle name. And he had just admitted that he liked her. Why didn't he just lead with that?

Phoenix twirled a strand of her hair, a salacious look overcoming his features.

"So, what's the answer going to be?"

Penelope swooned at how he was being with her, especially when she knew that he wasn't usually this affectionate or gentle.

"I would...maybe I would like it." She whispered up at him with a rosy tint to her cheeks.

Innocent eyes watched as the taller boy's offered a half-smile and she gasped as she felt a rough hand grip the back of her neck.

"What am I doing?" She whispered to herself as another hand gripped her waist to pull her up to her tiptoes.