Eighteen

Eighteen

When you're going to a club, you would think that you would want to dress up for the occasion, even if said club was one of the gates to the Underworld.  But as Damon drove us out of Los Angeles and into the rougher parts of town, all I could do was look over at him, dressed in a plain black t-shirt and jeans.  I was dressed similarly, though I had on a couple of silver chain necklaces that Zoe insisted on me wearing with it. 

"When we get there, stay close to my side," Damon said, glancing over at me.  "You don't want to get mixed up with most of these people."

I nodded, leaning my head back against the seat. 

"I know that there will be a few people you know there.  Well, people you knew before your memory was taken.  I know one of them will completely freak out when she sees you," he continued, smiling slightly at that last statement.

"And just who is this person?" I asked.

"An old friend."

I sighed.  He totally knew that I wouldn't know who it was. 

Damon slowed the car once he turned down a dark alley.  It definitely resembled one of those creepy looking ones with the busted out lights and the fog steaming up from the street.  But there were people standing along the sidewalk, waiting for something.  Some of the girls were dressed in the shortest dresses I'd ever seen and others had on all black with chains and piercings everywhere.  The guys were the same, minus the dresses, though most of them were huge and had tattoos covering their bodies.  They didn't look very scary...though you wouldn't be hearing the older generation that.

Well, I was a part of the oldest generation, so I really couldn't say anything. 

"I can see why you said it wasn't really a place you wanted to be seen," I said, looking back over at Damon.

All he did was shrug.  "It's really not that bad most of the time.  But in others, it can be a little crazy.  This looks like it's going to be a fairly good night, though.  You'd be afraid to see how it is on a bad one."

Yeah, that was definitely something that I never planned on seeing. 

Since Damon's car always seemed to attract attention everywhere, everyone standing in line watched as he slowed down until he stopped in front of the doors.  There were two huge guys who were in charge of crowd control.  When they saw Damon's car, one of them stepped forward and around it just as Damon stepped out. 

"You know where to park it," I heard Damon say before he shut his door. 

When he walked around the front, I saw him exchange a few more words with the the burly guy before glancing at me through the windshield.  I was not stepping out of this car until he opened the door and stayed right beside me.  Probably knowing just what I was doing, I saw Damon smile as he headed around to my door and opened it. 

"You know, it's safe to get out," he said, leaning down at look at me.  Some of the girls standing in the line behind him were checking him out with lust in their eyes. 

"I know.  I have a right to be nervous, though, don't I?"

He just smiled, holding his hand out for me to take. 

Once I was out and he shut the door behind me, I heard the car immediately start up and pull away from the curb, going down the alley, and I watched it until it disappeared around the corner.  I could feel multiple stares on me, but I didn't meet them. 

"Come on and lets get inside," Damon said, grabbing my hand and kissing the back of it.  "We'll only be in there for a few minutes...and I won't let go of your hand."