Five

Five

The next morning, I woke up with the feeling of someone watching me.  The only light that penetrated my eyelids was coming from the beside table where a lamp sat.  Slowly, so my eyes adjusted to the light, I opened them to look up at Ari, who was staring down at me.

"As you can tell, it's time for you to get up," she said.  Her arms were crossed over her chest.  "You and Damon have to leave in a half an hour.  I've got you some clothes.  They're in the bathroom.  You don't have to take a shower, do you?  I mean, you took one last night, didn't you?"

I nodded as I slowly sat up.  "Yeah, I knew we were going to have to leave early, so I took one then," I said. 

"I also brought up a tray for breakfast.  You'll have to eat quickly, though."  And with that she left the room.

It didn't take me long to get dressed.  And after I was, I picked up the tray of food and headed for the double doors that I learned the night before led out to a balcony that looked out at the ocean.

The day before, I basically just hung out in my room.  I did explore the house a little more, though I wasn't allowed to see the basement.  I will admit I got lost a few times, but then Castor would suddenly be there to help me get to a familiar area. 

I didn't get my answer to my question about what really happened at the beach.  All I got was a change of subject.  I'd tried a few more times to bring it up, but I was always shot down.

 I mean, the question had something to do with me.  I thought I deserved that much, right?  And I knew Damon knew why I could do what I could.  If he didn't, he wouldn't have helped me bring Lee back. 

Then there was the matter of the two dreams that I had with Damon in them.  That last one wouldn't get out of my head either, not with the way kissing him made me feel, even if it was in a dream. 

But the thing that bothered me was that they felt so real.  The only thing was, I was pretty sure that they didn't take place in this time.  And it wasn't just the clothing and armor either.  It was just the atmosphere, the feeling that I got when I was dreaming about that place.  It felt like home.

"Are you ready?"

I turned my head to see Damon standing there dressed in a suit similar to the one that I'd seen him wear before. 

"Why are you dressed like that?" I asked, looking him up and down.

"Work," was all he said before he turned around and walked back out of my room. 

"Where do you work?" I asked, following behind him.  I walked just a foot behind him and could feel the heat that I always seemed to feel when I was near him. 

"You like your questions, don't you?" he asked, looking at me out of the corner of his eye. 

I just shrugged.  "Well, when you haven't answered any of them, it just makes me want to ask you more to see if I can get them out of you." 

He sighed.  "I own a business with two of my brothers," he said reluctantly. 

"And what do you do at your business?"

"It's mostly PR and accounting.  We represent a multitude of other businesses, watch their accounts and make sure they look good and are doing the right things."

"Sounds fun.  And what's the name?"

"MOGG," he said as we started descending the spiral staircase to the front foyer.