Twelve

Twelve

It was utterly quiet as all of us sat in the living room.  None of us moved, none of us said a word.  Well, Damon was pacing in front of the couches where the rest of us sat, muttering to himself.  He was dressed in his t-shirt and jeans again and not his armor.  He had his arms crossed over his chest as he paced, looking down at the floor. 

"I told him that I would tell her myself," Damon muttered.  "He's always been an arrogant bastard.  Of course, he wouldn't wait.  He would want to tell her himself."

I looked over at Hector for clarification.  "I'm guessing he's talking about Zeus?"

He nodded, rolling his eyes. 

"But what's so wrong with his daughter knowing about Persie?" Molly asked from his other side.  "I mean, she was going to find out either way, right?"

"It's more how she found out."

I stood up and walked toward one of the windows to gaze out.  Anthea was flying around.  She looked happy.  I could tell even though she was a good five hundred feet in the air. 

"When we go to Olympus, I going to give him a piece of my mind," Damon said just as I turned back around.  "If he told Zoe anything else..."

"Daddy!" a voice yelled as we heard the front doors open.  "You need to explain something to me about what Zeus..."

Just then the girl from the picture appeared in the archway that led into living room.  She was even more gorgeous than she was in the picture, even in her white, one-shoulder dress.  And she was somehow more familiar when I saw her in person...

Her eyes went straight to me once she stopped, her jaw dropping.  Tears welled up in her eyes as she did and then she was rushing toward me.  Before I could even speak, she had her arms around me in a tight hug, crying as she did. 

"Oh, my gods, it's you!" she cried.  "M-"

Damon was there then, pulling her off of me.  "Zoe, darling, I need to speak with you for a moment."

"But it's her!" she said, tears streaming down her face.  "Why can't I...?"

"Zoe," he said in a stern voice. 

She looked back at me and nodded.  "Alright," she said.

Damon threaded her arm through his as they headed for the door going down to his office in the basement.  Before they rounded the corner, they both looked at me.  And then they were gone.

"Well," Molly said after a long moment of silence.  "Is it just me or does she look like...?"

"How about we make something for dinner for all of us while we wait on the two of them," Hector said, standing up.  "We'll probably be able to make a gourmet meal by the time they are."

Molly stood up and walked toward me as Hector, Ari, and Lee went to the kitchen.  Lee was looking at me the exact same way Molly was.  It was like they were trying to piece something together in their heads. 

"I can't help but think that Damon's daughter looks familiar somehow," she said once it was just the two of us.  "Are you thinking the same thing?"

I nodded.  "Yeah, I don't know where I've seen her before, other than the picture that Damon showed me."

"It's almost like she's..."  She trailed off, just staring at me.  She shook her head.  "No, that couldn't be it."

"What?"

"Nothing," she said.  "I'm just letting my imagination run away with me, that's all.  It's impossible, really."

I laughed, raising my eyebrows.  "After everything that I've found out today, I'm sure whatever it is, it's probably true."