Part 42

"Damien" I whispered out. Without having to say much more, Kana sat up abruptly, understanding what I was implying. Suddenly she jumped from her seat, the long pieces of fabric from her dress moving effortlessly around her. 

Her eyes were wild, frantic almost. I got up as well, following her like a lost puppy as she dashed around the room, picking up a variety of different potions and books, possibly looking how to prevent him from knowing I was here.

It was no use, I knew in my mind that regardless of any spell Kana would be able to preform, Damien would sense I was here, or at least I had been here at one point or another. Mate bonds overcame concealment spells, one of the many downfalls of non-black magic. 

Kana looked at me, her long eyelashes framing her face. I could tell she was worried, she really didn't know what to do. 

We only had a few minutes left, Damien had already gotten hold of my sent and was starting to pick up his pace, I could tell by using some of my power.

Sight was useful for one thing or another 

"I-I..." Kana trailed her voice off, unable to say anything. Both of us knew we would need to make an excuse up instead of trying to use concealment magic. The situation got a whole lot my complicated...

"I can say I was having some pain in my side and I came to you for help a week ago. We started talking, and now we are friends so we just wanted to hang out. Nothing more, nothing less" I quickly came up with a lie that was simple enough where Damien would believe it without questioning it, yet it was still detailed enough to be believable. 

Or so I hoped

She nodded from across the room, "We need to sit casually, he still doesn't know you have sight. From his understanding, there shouldn't be a way for you to tell he was coming" Kana spoke, running into her kitchen to pour us more tea so we could stage the scene like we were hanging out.

I ran into her room and pulled blankets and sprawled them across the mustard yellow couch so it look like we were cozy, warm, settled in... all characteristics like I had become acquainted with Kana and we were sitting for what seemed like hours.

When the set up was ready, Damien was less than 30 feet from the entrance of the house. We both were nuzzled into the plush cushions with half filled cups of Jasmine tea. The scene looked intimate and quiet yet comfortable, the exact message I had wanted to portray.

Kana went the extra mile and sprinkled a mason jar filled with soothing herbs on the table, so it looked like she was treating my "cramps". She explained the root was mild enough where Damien would not have to be notified, but still showed some indication of pain. It was common in this region, Damien would probably be familiar with it just by looking at it and smelling the room.

I felt the nock before I heard it

And at that exact moment, everything went black as I entered the realm of memories once again

--Damien--

I knocked on the door, I could smell the scent of tea, herbs, Kana, and of course Kadence. I was curious to see what she was doing all the way out here, hopefully I could see her. I longed to be in her presence, or even her general vicinity. It comforted me knowing she was safe, that I was close enough that I could protect her if something had happened 

Not to mention I had my own selfish reasons. The way she smiled, pouted, or even blinked. It all made me go crazy over that woman. Life seemed more bearable with her around, like the days that drifted away so slowly and dreadfully were all for a greater purpose. She was the light in the darkest of days