Heart Shaped Box

The sound of children does little to lift the spirits of a woman who feels as though she is broken beyond repair. Leaning back against the bench and watching as Adam pushed the twins on the swingset. I'm almost lost in thought when I feel an all too familiar presence sit down beside me and waiting for me to acknowledge him. I take a slow breath in, continuing to stare right ahead watching as Savannah is pushed down the slide by her father. Finally letting the moment pass, I speak but my eyes never leave my kids.

"Come to pay your respects?" His usual snark is gone, instead, in its place is a genuinely caring tone.

"It's easy to speak well of Jackson. He was a good man... All your brothers were." His gaze shifts from me to the baby tree only a few feet away.

"Though it is a bit macabre, isn't it? Burying his heart under a sapling?"

I pause for a moment, my gaze shifting towards the ground. "At least the kids will have a place to visit him. I don't want them to forget how much they loved him." I feel his eyes on me but I can't bring myself to look him in the eyes.

"I am sorry... for your loss." His hand just barely grazes my own. "I can't begin to imagine

I try to ignore the shiver down my spine. "Mmm. Everybody's sorry. Doesn't make a whole lot of difference, does it?"

He leans forward clasping his hands together, staring off into the distance. "Perhaps not. I've heard time heals all wounds, but that has not been my own experience. I wonder if keeping busy might help distract you from your grief?" Finally, I turn to look at Klaus, partly curious and partly suspicious.

"You have something in mind?"

He scratches his forehead and sighs. "Aurora's still at large. No doubt plotting her revenge. She used Camille to get to me once. She may do so again. And, Hayley and Hope rather vulnerable. I'd like to provide some safeguarding. I was hoping Adam would accompany her."

I take a moment to think about it for a moment before I respond. "Isn't that your job?"

Klaus frowns looking sadder than usual. "No. Not anymore." I knew Adam wouldn't mind helping Hayley. He'd been meaning to talk to her for months about something concerning her family. I'd finally convinced him to tell her the next chance they were alone, this wasn't something to take lightly.

"Fine."

Klaus seems pleased, but before he can say anything more, his phone buzzes in his jacket pocket, and he scowls in annoyance as he stands to his feet and pulls it out to answer it.

"Can I assume our very gifted sister has finally found my lunatic ex?" Whatever is said on the other end makes his face twisted with rage. He spins on his heel and starts storming away before I grab his wrist. He turns to glare at me but when he sees the concern he softens.

"Whose help do you need in murdering?"

Klaus and I book it to the bell tower after informing Adam of the situation. Finding Elijah in Freya's workspace holding the parchment in his hands. He softens when he sees my awkward wave, we'd been more open after he'd found me sobbing in my kitchen. I scoop the parchment out of his hands and read it aloud.

"A forest of pine, and a box made so fine. Come quickly. If not, then poor Freya will rot, buried in dirt for all time."

Klaus rips it from my hand looking as if the rage had overtaken him. "The woman is insane."

Elijah scoffs, shaking his head. "Does she have to punish us with the world's most unfortunate limerick?" I lean against the table looking over its contents. Perhaps if I could find out what Freya was doing it might give a hint to where she is now. Elijah starts to pace around the room while Klaus scowls angrily.