👑Chapter 87👑 Strong Woman

♡Chapter edited by the beautiful and talented duchessoftheclouds

👑👑👑

“Good morning Centennial Devils!” A student shouted from the school speakers. “Let's wish our senior girls’ basketball team all of the luck for today's big game,” she cheered in the speakers.

I shut my locker as I heard cheers coming from all the classrooms. I smiled as I walked to the gym with my basketball gear.  The fact that the boys’ teams get more recognition than the girls do genuinely hurts my heart, but then again, they do have more fans. Which then equals to more seats, then that equals to more money and new equipment.

When it was the championship games for the boys, the whole school participated in decorating the school. They knew the boys would win. But now, it’s a different story.  Some students think we will, while others think we will lose… badly.

It's hard being a girl and doing what you love, especially playing a sport that was made for men. Being a woman in general, we are always at the risk of being berated daily for how we carry ourselves, or what we choose to do for our future. Sure, men get judged as well. But let's be honest, society love to embarrass women more than men.

Labelled as weak human beings that don't have enough testosterone in their bodies to be as physically strong as men. We may not ever be as physically strong as men, but our brains work in many ways that men can never even begin to understand. The power of the brain will always be stronger than anything else. Sometimes even the heart.

“Hey! You excited for today?” Jenn asked, putting her arm around my shoulders.

I smiled. “Yeah, I guess.”

“You guess? Sis, this is our last game together! Who knows where we will end up?” She said, looking off into the distance.

“Yeah, you're right. I'm just a little upset how little faith our school has in us,” I confessed.

“Don't take it seriously, Madina. I know this is your first year here, but the girls are always treated as seconds. I guess we've kind of gotten used to it by now,” Jenn shrugged.

“No, I refuse to be treated as second just because we have lady parts! We have had just as many wins as the guys this season. We should be treated the same as them. Don't you think?” I asked.

“Well, duh, but no one really cares or listens to what we have to say.” Jenn said, staring into my frustrated eyes.

And I could see the loss of hope in hers.

“I'll make them listen,” I smirked.

“And how are you gonna do that?” She egged me on with a hopeful grin.  

“You'll see.” I grinned even wider, practically skipping across the gym as Jenn trailed behind, giggling.

Coach had us all in the gym. Some girls were lying across the gym floor, exhausted. Somewhere hidden in their hoodies. And then the ones who were staying hydrated while on their phones.

“Listen up, ladies. Omar has something she wants to share with you guys.” Coach introduced, stepping aside for me.

He nodded towards me as I smiled and walked forward.

“Who’s excited for today's game?” I asked as the girls lamely attempted a cheer.

Typical senior girls’ team. We acted like we didn't care, but just you wait. Once it’s an hour or two left until the game begins, they turn into a complete nervous wreck. Yes, I know the pattern of my team. That's what good team captains should do.