The Festival 22

Sunlight crept through the crack in the curtains, bathing our sleeping celestial mage in the golden hue of morning. Birds were singing their morning songs and the smell of coffee and cinnamon hit her nose. It was a delightful way to wake up until she remembered she was alone in a house with two small children who couldn’t cook.

Scrambling from her bed, Lucy fell face first on the floor before getting up and rushing to the kitchen. Much to her confusion, Sting was sitting at the kitchen table with Rogue and Isaac. Yukino was walking out of the kitchen with a plate of sticky buns and the exceeds’ were nowhere to be found.

"Lucy, you're awake!" Yukino expressed joyfully.

"Bout time Blondie, ya almost missed breakfast!" Sting was filling out some paperwork and looked up to greet the tired blond. She was happy to see him taking his guild duties seriously, but why weren't they at Yukino’s house?

"I'm not a very good cook except when it comes to sticky buns! Mira-dono taught me last time I visited Magnolia." The white haired woman sat the plate of steaming sweet bread on the table causing everyone in the house to drool.

"They smell amazing. Would you like some help finishing breakfast?" Lucy wanted to hurry up and finish everything so they could eat. She was starving and breakfast was always welcome in her opinion.

"Sure I was thinking potatoes eggs and meat."

"I want hash browns and scrambled eggs with cheese ple~ase!" Isaac called from the couch. He was so engrossed in his show that he didntdidn’t look at her when he talked but he made sure to let her know what he wanted.

"May I have egg whites only with spinach please?" Unlike Isaac, Rogue turned to face Lucy and bowed after requesting his healthier meal.

"Oi, make sausage and bacon!" Of course Sting would demand they make two meats instead of asking nicely for extra food. It's not like Lucy wasn’t going to make both anyway. Three male slayers needed a lot of food.

Sting reached to grab one of the delectable sugary buns but was slapped away by his on again girlfriend Yukino.

"Since you want us to cook so much extra you can wait for it to be finished and eat with the rest of us."

"Hmpf. Fine."

Lucy spent the next forty five minutes showing Yukino how to make a perfect 'mans' breakfast. She showed the ivory haired girl how to peel potatoes without cutting herself along with how to shred them using a cheese grater. She made sure to emphasize how important ringing, draining, and patting the potatoes dry was before cooking.

Lucy showed Yukino how to make the perfect fluffy batter for pancakes and they made both banana and strawberry toppings for them. After that she showed her younger sister how to separate egg whites from the yolks so they could prepare each person's eggs to their liking.

She also taught her one of her favorite tricks. Since dragon slayers eat so much, she had long since formed a habit of buying in bulk. Instead of cooking bacon on the stove, she can cook up to one hundred and twenty slices in her oven at one time. All you had to do was line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, lie each slice of bacon flat and bake at three hundred and fifty for ten to twelve minutes. Yukino took note knowing this trick would be beyond useful in the future when she cooked for Sting.