chapter IX || gaze

The next morning, the mercs headed back into the city to eat. They ate breakfast at a nearby cafe while the citizens of Pompeii shuffled about, completing tasks for the day.

    "Too bad they didn't have coffee in this time period," Sniper stated. Scout chuckled to that.

    The mercs scattered into groups after that and viewed the city. Scout decided to go with Sniper.

    Sniper and Scout passed a few shops and cafes on their way around the city. They bought a few things, however, because they wanted to make their house a home. The mercs had no idea how long they'd be there.

    "How many coins do you have left?" Scout asked as they walked down a stone path.

    "Well, the house was three aureuses, and food cost us only one-sixth of an aureus. So we have eleven aureuses, and twenty of these silver coins." Sniper stated, pulling silver coins ‒that he did not know the name of‒ out of his pocket.

    Scout and Sniper passed a few shops for food and clothing, but none caught his eye. . . except for one.

    It was a shop that sold weapons. It sold Pugios, Gladiuses, Javelins, and best of all: bow and arrows.

    Scout didn't notice that Sniper had stopped. He was too busy rambling about when he broke his nose playing baseball or something.

    Finally, he did notice, and he ran up to Sniper.

    "What is it?" He asks.

    "The bow and arrow. Since I don't have my sniper rifle with me, I could put this to good use." Sniper replied.

    "There are also targets and dummies at another shop that I could practice on," Sniper added.

    "Are you going to get it?" Sniper asks.

    "Yeah," Sniper stated. They walked up to the shop.

    "Hello." The shopkeeper greeted them.

    "Hello. How much for the bow and arrows?" Sniper asked.

    "The bow is ten silver denarius coins, and it comes with arrows." The shopkeeper stated.

    That must be what my silver coins are called. Sniper thought.

    "Okay, I'll buy it," Sniper stated and grabbed his silver denarius coins out of his pocket and handed ten to the shopkeeper.

    The shopkeeper gave Sniper the bow and some arrows. It came with straps to put the bow and arrows on his back. Sniper immediately did that.

    "That's a nice bow," Scout stated.

    "I know!" Sniper chuckled.

    Soon the sun started to set, so Sniper and Scout headed back home. Sniper bought the targets, and a Pugio for Scout so he could practice on a dummy that he bought.

    Once they got back home, Sniper set up the targets in a nearby field. It had to be a little far from the home, so he wouldn't accidentally shoot one of his teammates.

    After he set the shooting range up, Sniper headed back up to the house.

    When the mercs split up, Sniper had given the rest of his team a little bit of money, so they could buy stuff, too.

    "Did you set up the targets and dummies?" Scout asked.

    He was waiting for Sniper outside the door of their house.

    "Yup. Tomorrow we can go to practice if you want." Sniper stated. They both stood outside for a bit. It started to get dark outside.

    "Can you teach me how to shoot a bow?" Scout asked.

    "Sure." Sniper chuckled.

    They just stood there and looked out at the stars for a bit. It started to get cold after a while. Scout crossed his arms to try to contain his heat.

    "Do you wanna go inside?" Sniper asks.

    "Yeah, it's cold." Scout chuckled. The mercs went inside and walked to Sniper's balcony to see the city again.

    "The city's still as beautiful as yesterday," Scout stated with a smile.

    "Yeah." Sniper smiled back. Scout was staring at the city in amazement, just as he did the night before.

    This night was cold, though.

    "Don't you wish we had heaters here? It's freezing." Scout asked with a laugh.

    "Yeah." Sniper chuckled. He took off his vest and handed it to Scout.

    "Here." Sniper smiled.

    "No, it's alright." Scout gave the vest back to Sniper.

    "No, I insist." Sniper handed the vest back and Scout put it on. It was just slightly too big for him.

    His vest is so warm. Scout thought. He looked at Sniper and smiled. "Thanks."

    Sniper smiled back. "No problem, mate."

    After a while of talking and gazing at the city and the stars, Scout yawned and stated, "well, I'm gonna hit the hay."

    "Alright. G'night, mate." Sniper smiled.

    "Goodnight." Scout smiled and headed back to his room.

    Sniper just let Scout keep the vest for a while. He stayed up and watched the city for a while before going to sleep himself.

[792 words]

feedback is appreciated!